I Forge Iron

Picked up a old forge today

Oldmossman

Welcome to IFI... I always suggest reading this to get the best out of the forum. READ THIS FIRST   It is full of tips on how to get the best out of the forum like editing your profile to show location. You may be surprised how many members are near you and a lot of answers depend upon knowing where in the world you are located. Other tips on how to do the best search and how to stay off the moderators radar.:)

The forge looks like a very good find. Be sure to clay the cast iron pan up to the lip of the fire pot to prevent further cracking and take the gear cover of the blower off and clean all the old lube/grease out so you can re oil it and check the gears. It is not recommended to disassemble the blower for cleaning, other than the gear & fan cover, if it's full of mud dobber and mouse nests.

Nice find. I will eventually find one that the owner doesn't think because something is old that it adds five hundred dollars to the price. I hear, "But this is over a hundred years old. It's a rare antique." way too often. 

Pnut

Yes this is my first post I never post on forums I just read the heck out of them! But as I know not a whole lot about blacksmithing I had to jump in with both feet. Yes the blower Works smoothly and I have sprayed everything down to take it completely apart Im not sure what claying is but I will search and I figure it out. Really glad to be part of your forum and I hope the find members nearby me in Sand Springs, Oklahoma.

Also It came with the tongues and a bunch of coal but I think the coal is anthracite it's extremely shiny.

6 minutes ago, Oldmossman said:

Im not sure what claying is but I will search and I figure it out.

Claying is filling the forge with clay, to protect the cast iron pan from the heat of the fire. The "Read This First" page has instructions on how best to search the forum for the info you want.

6 minutes ago, Oldmossman said:

nearby me in Sand Springs, Oklahoma

Put your location in your profile settings; no-one will remember this once they navigate away from this page.

5 minutes ago, Oldmossman said:

I think the coal is anthracite it's extremely shiny.

Here's an article posted about how to get the most out of anthracite: