I Forge Iron

Hello from Eastview Kentucky

Hardcastle619

Hello My name is Lynn  I have just got into blacksmithing. I had been kinda working with a small old railroad anvil that my Grandfather let me have. I just got a Vulcan anvil for my birthday from My girlfriend. Now looking to update my forge had a gas one i built. I want a coal fire one. would like to build my self. If anyone has ideas let me know thank you

Look through the jabod threads in the solid fuel forge section. I'm not sure where eastview is but I'm in northern Kentucky. If you're close let me know. Welcome aboard, be safe and remember it's supposed to be fun. 

Pnut

Just looked up where Eastview is. I have a sister in Elizabethtown. I'm in Dry Ridge. It's probably a couple hours away from you. If I get down to visit with my sister I'll let you know.

Welcome aboard Lynn, glad to have you. A coal forge is easy as pie to build. All you need is something to hold a few handfuls of coal and a way to direct an air blast through it. A bottom blast directs the blast UP from under the fire and is probably the most common type around. However the "Side blast" forge is as old as a blown fire, a simple trench and a pipe to air is it though some have the tuyere/tue aimed across a shallow depression at the back of the forge at the smith. The JABOD is an ancient type side blast forge and as proven a design as walking on two legs.

Iforge has a large solid fuel forge section. Reading the whole thing is a mother bear but skim the thread subject lines till you find one that sounds good, then skim the thread to see if there's something that answers your questions. I think I've read most if not all but I've been here a good 15 years, it was a slow gradual exposure. :)

Frosty The Lucky.

Glad to have you, if you haven't read this    READ THIS FIRST   I highly recommend it. It's full of tips and links on how to get the best out of the forum and keep the moderators happy.:D One of the tips I use all the time is the best way to search for things on IFI.