I Forge Iron

Wilton Bullet: history and info?

Conrad.blacksmithing

I just bought a Wilton bullet vise and am planning on restoring it and selling it. I don't know anything about these other than they sell like hotcakes. I will be doing research but for now do any of y'all know anything about these? Date of manufacture, history, model number system? I know anvils like the back of my hand but not vises. Any info or help with repairs is greatly appreciated!

20191230_113358.jpg

20191230_113445.jpg

I don't know a whole lot about the company, but they did make pretty good vises. Unfortunately, it looks like the rear jaw support is broken off on yours, just like my Wilton in my profile photo. Also, it looks like that originally might have been a model with a swivel base that has since been broken, but I'm not sure.

I think during certain time periods Wilton bullets had their manufacturing dates stamped on the key of the slide, near the back. Might be worth looking anyways.

• 3 weeks later...

Main selling point is that they are not made from grey cast iron but rather they are made from ductile iron. I will leave it you to figure out the difference.

The second selling point is the fully enclosed screw. 

Both point lead to better longevity and indeed they are the best and most expensive vises on the market.