I Forge Iron

Burners not performing well and feeling ill

Wayne5407

3 hours ago, Wayne5407 said:

Ok, I think that I need more air is pretty obvious. What am I changing? Longer or shorter mixing tubes, bigger flares? Smaller jets.. like how am I supposed to achieve this goal is what I’ve been after.. also forge, how am I second guessing? I simply made a hypothesis on where I think I XXXXXX up.. I already have the design I like, now what about it needs to be different? This is where I’m getting frustrated at

Your above response is nothing but second guessing. What you want and what is possible are too often mutually exclusive. The simple answer to making those burners work? There are too many things wrong, those are not going to work properly. PERIOD. Is that simple enough?

I'm not trying to harsh on you but those of us who KNOW how to do this stuff get really tired of people who have no idea, asking poor questions and arguing with the answers. 

For example you SAY your burners work well outside the forge. How do you know what a good burner flame looks like? . . . You don't or you wouldn't have to ask why those made you sick without heating your steel.

For example of not knowing what you're looking at, Pic #1 shows a flame generated by a misaligned propane jet. the fuel air if flowing down one side of the mixing tube this burner can NOT be tuned. Guessing at longer/shorter tube, air gap around the sleeve, etc. aren't going to help. IF you want to make it work you need to drill straight jet when you replace the intake bell reducer with one that's at LEAST close to large enough. 

Even your best flame shows an off center jet.

Then you guess "Back pressure" must be the easy fix YAY! Again you demonstrate you don't know enough to be evaluating forges or burners. Your forge is WIDE OPEN there is NO back pressure, it's only enclosed enough to cause the unburnt  propane to hand around a while. 

I THINK the ONLY reason Mike suggests a LITTLE gap between the burner flare and clear air is he's tired of trying to tell people how to tune their burners and they're close enough for it will work. The burner already has to BE CLOSE for this trick to work. Betcha he doesn't leave a deliberate air space between HIS burners and forge, kiln, etc. I know I don't, mine are tuned.

Handy Guy's burners are all running lean and he probably made half a dozen to get one that close for his videos. What, they don't LOOK like they're burning lean to you? :huh:

Again, I don't want to beat you to death here Wayne but what you've built so far aren't going to work. There is NO, ZERO easy fixes, even the hard ones would make poor tools. 

If you wish to make burners and a forge that will work good, I'm all about helping you. However if you want to argue about making those work. Good luck to you I hope I don't read about you in the obits.

Frosty The Lucky.

Fair enough frosty, I won’t argue. You said earlier you have a guide on t burners? Can you give me a link to your guide so I can build them? I want to do this right and nobody likes wasting money so excuse me for seeming arrgoant. I would search but I barely know how to navigate this site. Also a good insulation lay out would be helpful, because I think my bricks are inadequate. 

15 minutes ago, Wayne5407 said:

I would search but I barely know how to navigate this site.

If you had read the "Read This" thread, it tells how to do a search using your favorite search engine and other tips for navigating the site to stay off the moderators radar.. Burners 101 and forges 101 are good places to start.