I Forge Iron

Long awaited addition to the shop.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The electrician gulped a bit when he saw how much stuff was jammed in my shop, I tried to explain it by needing to have everything locked up when I was working across the border and so not around to guard it and how a bunch of it would go out into the carport when it was built, (coal storage, large cast iron forge, extra powerhammers, etc.) I was also going to try to sell off some hand crank drill presses, postvises, 248# PW, misc tooling, etc from the hoard.

I also told him I would clean out wherever he needed access to.    Now lets see if the CoOp will buy that...

The plans for it are still in flux. For sure my 2 riding mowers which are now outside under a tarp secured with a chain & padlock will be in the addition, along with a high wheel Yazoo commercial mower which is now in the garage. Around here mowers are high theft items so they need to be locked up. Then 2 forges that we don't use a lot will be moved out of the smithy into the addition along with several large welding equipment containers holding PPE and our plasma cutter now taking up room in the garage along with a propane kiln. I will probably move the big sandstone wet grinder in there too which is taking up room in the smithy. Of course I will build shelving to store other stuff we can't live without but don't use on a regular basis. Hopefully I will be able to free up room in both the main part of the smithy and garage.

• 3 weeks later...

Not too much has been done since the lock down and not being able to get motivated. I did manage to move about 6-7 bucket loads of dirt and 1 of crushed limestone for the landscaping outside. Then the weather became uncooperative and we had rain every other day making it hard to do the shovel & rake grunt work.

100_2109-1.thumb.jpg.1f7cf62fdaca6e9e578e703931015e15.jpg

100_2110-1.thumb.jpg.a301b7a86064a46647fd3494bd5ea623.jpg

• 2 months later...

No picture but the dirt work was started today. Got one side leveled (where the tractor is in the picture). Got too hot to do much more. Someone remind me tomorrow why I can't move due to sore muscles. Amazing how a whole different set are used doing shovel & rake work.:D

We pump and refine crude oil so we don't have to use so many sets of muscles doing shovel and rake work. I keep swearing off doing shovel and rake work but keep falling off the wagon. <sigh> 

Frosty The Lucky.

I must be in better shape than I thought. Worked most of the day today and not the least bit sore. Ran out of dirt so had to bring in 4 more buckets full. Also got the old Willy's Jeep running after sitting fallow all winter. Not bad for someone who is about to celebrate his 38th anniversary of his 30th birthday 78 next month.:P

IFC, 68 or 78? 30+38=68.  If 68 you're a kid from my perspective (I turned 74 2 weeks ago), if 78 I salute my elder.

Re hand tools: My least favorite hand tool and one I hope never to have to pick up again is the two handled post hole digger.  Because it uses muscles that are not regularly used it stiffens things up in a unique way.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

I've never heard of the viking birthday dirge till just now. Well about 20 minutes ago, I've been listening/watching versions on Youtube. I'll have to see if I can get my iphone to record the video when I sing it for Deb on her next birthday.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 1 month later...

Finally got some decent weather so we decided to paint the trim on the shop.  Didn't realize how much trim it has. took us 2 days and I was surprised that I can still do tall ladder work without falling off.:lol: Next up do the walls grey. Got a ton of metal to move before that though and it's raining right now.:angry:

20200806_173036-2.thumb.jpg.655f8c71bb5ee6080e93c90e019e1906.jpg

20200806_173348-2.thumb.jpg.07280d37075ca8d7e74a088d55fa8195.jpg