I Forge Iron

Would you mind to share your Pyrography works?

tinnytinny

Hi. Everyone, I am a newbie here, and a newbie in Pyrography. My grandpa was good at Pyrography, but he passed away when I am a little boy...

He is my idol, and I want to be a man like him. So I start to learn Pyrography, and buy (commercial link removed) now.

Hope I can succeed.

My first thread, No idea if I post it in the wrong place.

Is there anybody who is good at Pyrography? Would you mind to share your works?

Thanks

Edited by Mod30
remove commercial link

Welcome aboard Tinnytinny, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you'll find out how many members live within visiting distance. 

I had to look up "Pyrography" as meaning; decorating wood or leather with heat as in hot irons, etc. In America we'd call this wood burning. . . Yeah, back when even if we were doing it on leather we called it (oh go ahead and laugh, I can take it) wood burning on leather. :rolleyes: 

I think every kid I knew had an electric wood burning iron. Dad thought it was crazy to buy a wood burning iron so he had me sand a small soldering iron shiny and use it. 

I don't know if that's what you mean by Pyrography, please clarify if you will.

Frosty The Lucky.

Welcome to IFI tinnytinny... I always suggest reading this to get the best out of the forum. It is full of tips like editing your profile to show your location and how to stay off the moderators radar:). READ THIS FIRST

Pyrography  is not really related to blacksmithing so I imagine your thread will be moved to the Everything Else section. As Frosty said we always called it wood burning and at one time I tried it, but wasn't very good so never took any pictures.

That is beautiful Tinnytinny. Your Grandfather did marvelous work I could walk in that forest. You have a much better set than was common with folks I know. My current soldering guns have a couple tips that'd work but nothing compared to your set. 

Stick around we love pictures and I see potential for combining burned wood/leather and iron work.

Frosty The Lucky.

5 hours ago, Frosty said:

I see potential for combining burned wood/leather and iron work.

As do I. Tomohawk handles, well handles of any sort where there's enough room to decorate it where your hand won't be. Sheaths and such, heck even an apron would be cool. I'd like to have some celtic knots burned or stamped into an apron. I also had a wood burning kit that had a few interchangeable tips but it wasn't as nice as the one tinny posted. I do have a power supply for a tattoo machine that looks very similar to the one posted above. I'm sure converting a wood burner to run off of it would be pretty straightforward. 

Pnut

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen an artist do something similar with ply wood. She would run current into a nail driven into the board and it would make burns radiate outward from the nail. She controlled it somewhat by using brine where she wanted the wood to burn. It was pretty cool. 

Pnut

• 3 months later...