I Forge Iron

Issue with a double forge burner I purchased.

andresbeeco

Hello everyone, 

Though I still consider myself a novice when it concerns blacksmithing and bladesmithing, I have dabbled quite a bit in the craft. I have built and used two forges and forge burners in the past two years. Each getting increasingly more ambitious as my intrigue increased.  

However, this year I decided to take the plunge and purchase a professionally built, double burner propane forge. I really like the design of the forge, but it is the burners that are causing me an issue.

I have meticulously tested my set up and retried my forge with one of my older burners. It worked decently, but the double burner failed to burn outside the pipe or produce a torrential flame. It is currently burning inside of the pipe and heating it up. I asked the seller for help and he sent me a new one. However, the new burner failed just like the previous one. Is their something that I'm missing or doing wrong?

In my search, I have discovered that the propane outlets, holes drilled in to the pipe, were either off center or had a slight tilt. Could this be causing the issue? Using an air compressor, I didn't feel any obstructions to the air flow. Is their a way to fix this issue? If so please help.

thumbnail_20191223_163705.jpg

thumbnail_20191223_164836.jpg

Welcome to IFI... Have you read this yet? I always suggest it to get the best out of the forum. READ THIS FIRST   

It is filled with tips like editing your profile to show your general location as so many answers depend on where in the world you are located.

To address your problem more information is needed. What propane supply are you using? Is there a pressure regulator attached and what type?  Is the connector hose rated for propane?

Welcome aboard Andre, glad to have you. If you put your general location in the header we'll better be able to help you. 

You've made functioning burners and can't see what's wrong with those? From the basic "design:rolleyes:" to construction they look like junk to me. I'm not going to list the mistakes as I don't think I could make those work worth spit for love nor money.

Frosty The Lucky.

I have some bad news, and some worse news.

The bad news is that the reducer fittings used for air chambers in those burners are on the small size for their mixing tubes.

The worse news is that some idiot decided to use half-disk forms to hold the threaded stock being used for gas pipes inside the the reducer fittings.

You can either live with problem one, or insert doubling tubes inside the burners' mixing tube to achieve better air induction.

You can't live with problem two, but you can drill a bunch of holes in the half disc to provide relief from it.

Whether or not these methods will provide enough improvement improvement to live with, will depend on how many other mistakes their builder made. I am sorry, but the bottom line is that this product was created to look good; not to work well :P