I Forge Iron

Bituminous supplier in N.W. Alabama

I don't know of any suppliers in Alabama personally, but I tried to do a web search and got quite a few hits by using the terms bituminous coal suppliers in northwest Alabama. Unfortunately my piece of junk phone's browser shut down before I could really get a chance to check any but I did see a hit for bituminous mining in Alabama so I think if you do some searching you can find somewhere to go. If you can't find a supplier don't forget that charcoal was used for much longer than coal and you can also use anthracite. Bituminous isn't a must. Welcome aboard. Good luck, be safe and remember it's supposed to be fun.

Pnut

Depending on who you talk to, there are five bituminous coalfields in Alabama:

CAHABA COALFIELD (St. Clair, Jefferson, Shelby, and Bibb Counties)

COOSA COALFIELD (St. Clair and Shelby Counties)

LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN COALFIELD (Dekalb, Cherokee, & Etowah Counties; and Dade, Walker, & Chatooga Counties, GA)

SAND MOUNTAIN COALFIELD (Jackson, Dekalb, Etowah, Marshall, and Blount Counties)

WARRIOR COALFIELD (Jefferson, Tuscaloosa, Fayette, Walker, Winston, and Marion Counties)

You will need to choose what is close to you.  The internet is your friend, so let your fingers do the walking.  Contact the Alabama Forge Council. They will know where to get coal.