I Forge Iron

Hello from a new blacksmith.

GW777

As the title states, I am a brand new smith.

1D003354-54BF-47CE-9AC1-EA7262B69676.thumb.jpeg.cfc2a85dc2006ebde6ea3bb54883a857.jpeg

This site has been indispensable to my self education, and I just wanted to join and collectively thank all who post enlightening content for us newbies. Also, these tongs are the first real things I’ve forged besides a few split crosses. Please tell me what y’all think.

Overall, good job on the first set. The most important question is do they hold what you are forging securely? Almost nothing worse than having hot metal fly through the air looking for something/someone to damage.

Keep at it, and keep us updated on your progress. We like pictures!

David

Thank you kindly. Overall, they hold most things well. They are a definite improvement over my little pair of channel-locks, but can surely be improved upon. I appreciate the compliment and will be posting again soon.

GW

May I suggest looking at those and writing down what improvements you want to make on the second pair?  We generally need to make at least 6 of something to get good at it---and that's with trying to improve some part of it each time not just repeating the same mistakes. (so think about taking a center punch and putting a single dimple on those somewhere in the reins and putting 2 in the next pair, etc...allows you to tell the order and see your improvement over time.)

Welcome to IFI... I always suggest reading this to get the best out of the forum with tips like editing your profile to show your general location and how to stay off the moderators radar. READ THIS FIRST

Your tongs look a lot like my first pair only not made out of rebar (which mine were and broke):)