I Forge Iron

Forge burners won't work unless 2 or more are on

Nathaniel Lee Winkler

Is that video a loop or something? It's burning rich but that's all I can tell from the video. A couple stills are usually more informative but if you do need to video hold position or move SLOWLY, jerking the view point around makes it too hard to see what's happening.

I can't see what kind of burner you're running or other particulars. How about a couple stills of the burners themselves, not the inside of the forge. That way we can get a handle on things like: basic type, tube length, etc. 

We need to know the details. What diameter is the mixing tube, it's length? What size jet does it have? What is the forge's volume and INSIDE dimensions. Maybe you've already told us this stuff but I don't see it in this thread. Perhaps the original thread would've been the place to post this one, if not you need to include the details here. Hey, I understand threads can get so cluttered with sometimes unconnected posts and opinions from the clueless you just need to make the break.

That's okay but we still need the details.

Did you put a second burner in a one burner forge? If so that's a serious problem unless you reduced the burner sizes, back pressure can do exactly what I'm seeing happening in the video. How does it work with the rear open? 

Frosty The Lucky.

The man stated that he had cleaned out "all lines." Furthermore that this is a recent problem. Taking him at his word, burrs in the jet orifice would be out. Add to this that the cutting off of flow is both severe and discontinuous, and debris in the lines is a reasonable guess. Debris could have collected in the fuel hose. from the gas cylinder, if he uses an exchange system, from rusting from an old enough cylinder, from junk in the hose, if he left it off for a long time. Then we come to imported junk regulators that may never have been cleaned and inspected...he could even have a buildup of tar and wax in his burner's gas orifices from really poor quality fuel. The wrong kind of hose will rot out over time. Very old hose finally starts disintegrating. The wrong kind of plumbing tape, or tape that isn't wrapped properly will shed threads into the gas system.

Does my thinking still seem :lol: to you? Cause I think the odds are with me. 

I think we're both odd enough not to need a contest. I was just envisioning the gas jets in your mind and seeing all kinds of sometimes disturbing :o images.

Those are all good possibilities. I'd just like a few of the particulars before analyzing anything. I'm good with taking Nathaniel at his word, now all I need to know is just what he means by them. You and I clarify terms every once in a while, clear communication requires clearly understood terms. This is the first time I've talked to him, we're still in the getting to know you phase. :)

The problem just starting since he installed the second burner has me wondering. I'd like to know how much and how he modified the forge or if he ran it with the rear opening that closed off before. What I can tell for sure at this point is that burner isn't inducing enough combustion air. 

Frosty The Lucky.

1 hour ago, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

Uhhh is that anything like getting a mouth full of spider's, if you blow out the gas jet orifice with your mouth?:lol:

You have no idea how close I came to just that, I was starting a siphon with a piece of garden hose in early spring. <SHUDDER!>

Glad you got it squared away Nathaniel. Mike has a fine eye for analyzing flames. I could see what was wrong but not why clearly enough to make suggestions.  

Frosty The Lucky.

Don't be sorry Mike, we're both TBI survivors we take things how we take them. I still hadn't realized you had when I responded or I wouldn't have been flippant.  

I say inappropriate stuff too often. You can just tell me. . . . anything.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 weeks later...