I Forge Iron

Reuse flux?

Can I reuse the Iron Mountain flux that doesn’t adhere to my steel when forge welding? Specifically, I hold the heated knife or axe head over a pan when applying the flux before going back in the forge and there is a fair amount that doesn’t stick to the hot steel. OK to put back in the bottle? 

Use a clean catch pan and try to keep the excess flux clean from debris and scale. 

If your really concern, then put the excess flux you capture into a second container for use as needed. This keeps the original container of flux absolutely clean.

Rather than spoon flux on, you can put the flux into a condiment bottle used for ketchup or mustard at a food table.  Just squirt on that is needed. Control the amount used by the size of the opening at the nozzle. You learn not to squeeze but to shake it on where, and as, needed.

The Iron Mountain flux is squirted onto the piece from a condiment-type bottle and I catch the excess in a clean pan. So I'll just put the extra back in the bottle....looks to be the same color and composition as when it was poured so it should work just fine based on your suggestions here. Many thanks again.