I Forge Iron

Oil tank question

That's no problem Jon, galvy/zinc has to be heated into the low orange to give off significant zinc oxide fumes and if your quench oil hits more than maybe 600f. putting the raging fire out will be a greater concern. 

Something with a lid you can put on it quickly is a really good idea. Never, NEVER, NEVER try to put an oil fire out with water :o !!! Smother it, or dry chem or CO2 extinguishers only. 

My quench tank is a 15 gal. grease barrel with lid in a cut down 55 gal. drum with lid. I cut and dropped a piece of 14 ga steel in the 15 gal barrel to prevent punching holes in the thin barrel, the outer drum is containment if I get a boil over or fire. One lid on the quench barrel and another on the 55 gal containment drum, shut off the forge and leave the shop till the smoke clears. This is the scary time, the oil smoke is flammable and there is a HOT propane forge sitting too darned close for comfort. Even with the burner shut off the forge itself is HOT.

Ah HAH, we're online at the same time again. Good morning Thomas. :)

Frosty The Lucky.