SamJ1425

couple of questions about forge build

On my propane forge, I made soft fire-brick cores, and then formed a cast-o-lite shell. I was hoping that this would possibly provide doors with some level of insulation, but mostly did it to save as much cast-o-lite as I could for an upcoming project. Either way, it made for some wonderful doors.

I'm having trouble with my castable refractory. I have been buttering my ceramic fiber and I rigidized all of the layers. I buttered the final layer before mixing and applying the kastolite. When I mixed the kastolite with the water(2.7 ounces to each 1lb) it had a consistency of holding together but kind of crumpling after to much handling. It was a pain to get it to stick to it's self let alone the ceramic fiber and it kept falling apart. I'm at a loss as to what went wrong and I'm half a bag into the trash already. Someone please help me

IMG_20191208_213225.jpg

IMG_20191208_212940.jpg

IMG_20191208_212920.jpg

IMG_20191208_212911.jpg

I would knead the refractory really well, butter as you have, and do it in 1/4 sections. After you have the desired thickness down, take a yard stick (3ft. ruler) and continually slap down the entire length. Keep doing this until you are blue in the face and eventually the cast-o-lite will start looking wet and flow out a bit.. or level out maybe. That's what worked for me anyway.