I Forge Iron

Heat treating 4140

Hello everyone. I’m pretty much brand new at all of this. I’m a carpenter and the reason I got started in the first place is because I thought it would be good to make my own hammer. I can’t seem to find good instructions on heat treating tool steel. Like a step by step list with temperatures and times and what oils to use. Sorry if this is has been covered already. Thanks!

Welcome aboard, have you read this yet? READ THIS FIRST  It will help you get the best out of the forum with tips like editing your profile to show your location and how to effectively search the forum.

Here is what I came up with. https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&ei=n3DkXZ_fIIO9-gSmwpF4&q=heat+treating+4140+site%3Aiforgeiron.com&oq=heat+treating+4140+site%3Aiforgeiron.com&gs_l=psy-ab.12...31720.37247..43480...0.0..0.832.3053.5-1j3......0....1..gws-wiz.keyAKfVFszk&ved=0ahUKEwjfqvm775XmAhWDnp4KHSZhBA8Q4dUDCAo