I Forge Iron

Cage free - post your bike(s).

greenskpr

Just wondering how many enjoy, or used to enjoy riding and what manner of conveyance you have. Been riding since 1993, quit for a couple years after an accident in 2000. Always looking for a road trip or destination to tour through. Sizing up a run through the Smokey Mountains, down to Asheville NC and back next fall if work doesn't get in the way. 

2008 Kawasaki Concours14

KIMG1977_7381.JPG

KIMG0480.JPG

I'll have to check for some pics of my bike before it met a deer. It was one of three things my father left me when he died. I've had it since I was 2. I've had a lot of bikes over my life but the panhead has  always been there and i can't bring myself to sell it even though I'll probably never fix it. 

Pnut

Honda VTX1800

whKpxkT.jpg

Haven't taken it out since the summer.

I had a bit of an incident with the front brake hoses splitting at the connection block, and starting to seep fluid when I was on the Isle of Man.
I have since replaced the damaged hoses, but haven't gotten around to replacing the fluid and bleeding it yet... been a bit too lazy this year.

Previous years i've used a bike for commuting to/from work, even in the snow... this one is a bit too heavy for that. Might have to get a small rat bike for winter riding. 

Dropped this one when I hit a 2" deposit of mud on a blind corner. Was like hitting ice and was painful on the wallet to repair, never mind my own injuries.
You can just about see the last of the scars on the back pannier... still needs re-painted. Everything else was replaced.

Talk about an expensive hobby!

Cool pics.  Wrt maintaining your motorcycle class on your license, a nice benefit if you get to travel for whatever reason (mine tend to be trade conferences) there's often reciprocity between states. I've made a point of going to Eagle Rider or whatever rental outfit you like and rent a bike for bit if you have a day or two of down time.  I find it's a great way to try out different makes and styles of machines to see what feels best. Not that expensive for a days worth of buzzing around and they'll usually supply helmets if you want/need one.

I have a friend who owns a H-D dealership/custom bike shop and I get to test drive bikes whenever I want but haven't taken him up on his offer since last spring. We took a ride to Red River Gorge for a camping trip. Got to ride a 77FLH bobber. Shovelheads are one of my favorites. 

Pnut

CRS how much do trims and shoeings run these days?  Not to mention expensive Vet bills...At least you don't have to have insurance to ride a horse. (Of course accidents can be as bad or worse. I once worked with a lady who was thrown and stepped on and won the dubious award of being the person who spent the longest time in ICU and didn't leave by way of the morgue---a full year in ICU. She never did make it back into work either.)

Depends how many nails, screws and other sharp objects are scattered on the road, and the weather conditions dictating my mode of transport for general commuting.

Averages about once a year given my current riding habits, although could be twice in the next 12 - 14 months given some of my planned trips.

Will go through a set of tyres on a single trip in 2021... also about £600 in petrol for at current prices. Shall have a rather sore backside after that for sure!

Here is a picture of my CVO Road Glide I mentioned on my last post . I got to ride it about 90 miles yesterday to go measure a job. Beautiful day mid 70s , 2 lane road most of the way with a few little twisty parts.1971160868_IMG_3435(1).thumb.jpg.cac2085c564f087a029e4014aba5ccd7.jpg

It is loaded up on a carrier that mounts to my hitch receiver on my truck and 2 other mounts on the bumper i built for the truck. I was headed on a 1900 mile trip to do some work and had to have my truck and tools but wanted to bring my scooter with out dragging a trailer.

I went to Warwick New York  from Texas . While there I went for one of the best rides I have been on. I went from NY to Vermont during Fall and rode through the falling leaves on a road blanketed with leaves all in different shades of the fall colors. It gave me new meaning to the term Fall.

1 hour ago, Kevin Olson said:

Hey greenspkr. Do you know the hp of your bike. I know the zx14 sport bike is around 185hp. Is it tuned down some for the concourse?  Even detuned that must be fun when you twist the go fast handle!

From Wikipedia: 

A stock 2008 Concours14 -  114 kW (153 hp) @ 8,800 rpm

It weighs under 500 lbs as well, which magnifies how it feels on the road. The power to weight ratio = super fun. The only thing I miss is loud pipes. 

I was on a trip through the Upper Peninsula of Michigan two years ago and latched onto a group of riders on Harleys who all had straight pipes, or configurations that were as loud, and it was deafening - they came up from behind and I heard them before I saw them.

I'm a believer that loud pipes save lives.  That said, I love the kaw. It's nimble and gets out of the hole in a heartbeat.