I Forge Iron

Burner questions

WayneF

Stupid questions, I know, but have you worked on tuning the burner by adjusting both the air intake (nozzle location knurled knob) and the gas pressure (regulator and needle valve)?  Also, did you purchase the Amal burner body optimized for propane?  The latter should have the correct orifice size.

As far as your heating issue, certainly pull the flame retention nozzle out of the forge body, as was suggested by others.  It might just be down to burner capacity.  Per their website the 1/2" Amal propane burner only puts out 6.8 MBH.  As a comparison, a 3/4" Zoeller Z-burner (rated good for a 350 cu. In forge) puts out close to 10 times that heat at an input pressure of 10 psi.  I know your forge is a lot smaller, but well insulated forges don't lose all of their heat through the forge walls (which is proportional to forge volume), a large percentage also exits via door openings through both radiant and convective means, and yours is pretty big.

hi

Yes i have been adjusting the air intake and also the pressure, between the 2 videos i only adjusted the pressure.

The injector was bought as a Propane model and i plan on pulling the nozzle out further, the good thing with the bricks is that i can try it with the burner on the top.

I plan on another attempt on Sunday so will have more details then.

thanks all for the support

Wayne

it posted twice

Looking pretty hot. Don't see much dragon's breath which is a good thing. Fabbing a frame will lessen the worry of bumping into the walls while you work.

Mounting on top has its advantages but heat will rise up into the equipment once you shut it off. You could always pull the burner out after every use.

Looking good though. Consider a baffle door when reconfiguring your next setup, it will help conserve some of the energy.