I Forge Iron

Wrought Iron

John Becker

Hey guys, I'm pretty sure this is wrought iron, but I thought I should ask for your opinions too. 

First, it came off old wagon (I think) wheels that my parents found mostly buried out behind the shop. So then I did a break test: 

IMG_20191128_111018877.thumb.jpg.f738a3dc6591de7795806ae4494f8a97.jpg

IMG_20191128_110930702.thumb.jpg.e49f1063005e9db3d65e983b1fa370e6.jpg

The grain seems right to me, but I've never had wrought before so I'm not super sure. 

Thanks guys!

• 3 weeks later...

This is not a correction to any comment just more info.

Not all wrought iron likes high heat to forge on.   The largest mistake I see people make is because they don't work square and are used to working modern steels, so  will work on the diagonals. (not worked square till finish shaping).  Wrought iron on the diagonal or on rounding is in shear plane where the fibers instead of being compressed are pushed past each other or smeared thru the center or just off side of the center.  This shearing action just pulls the fibers apart. 

The only real difference in working it is punching and slitting is different and this shear aspect of which I just mentioned.  Working Wrought iron in a square correctly will negate many aspects of the falling apart scenario even at lower temperatures..  If you do see it starting to ravel just take another heat and push the fibers back in usually on the corners.. 

At some point I really need to do a video on it.. I filmed a video about 2 years ago on working wrought iron and the difference between hot short and cold short wrought but the hot short  wrought ended up forging just fine at every temperature and the cold short failed to come apart when worked cold so the footage was useless.