I Forge Iron

Just Getting The Ball Rolling

I am greener than green, as I have never swung a hammer on an anvil.

I have been fascinated by this for many years, and made a big leap forward in my quest. I pretty much have everything I need except the steel to work. 

I chased this anvil, only to find out the gentlemen had everything I needed. So with one purchase I was able to load the truck

I have been lurking in the shadows here and learning allot 

IMG_4365.JPG

IMG_4366.JPG

Good Morning,

Welcome, add your location to your avatar. There probably is someone within your area that you can shadow and learn from/with.

I recommend getting some Play-Doh, I buy it from Wal-M---- for a dollar. Play-Doh works identical to steel when it is hot. You can figure out what something will look like and how much material it will take. Just a thought.

Enjoy the Journey, there is no Destination!!

Neil

Certainly can't call that a bad start.

Be sure and do some follow up reading on things like anvil stands and how to best line that forge so that you aren't using mountains of fuel or other problems.

Though I'm sure it's a treasure that you'll find it hard to let go, most people don't actually need or often use a big swage block like that.  Because of that, you might keep it in the back of your head that it can probably be sold to pay for other things you might want or use more.  Not saying you should do it, just planting that seed in your head that you *can* if it comes up.

And of course the standard note to update your profile to include your location--you never know who's just down the highway and can help you get rolling.

Welcome aboard. I always suggest reading this to get the best out of the forum.  READ THIS FIRST  If you edit your profile to show your location, you may be surprised how many members are near you and can give tips in person. That's a fine looking anvil, hope you have read about not doing any grinding, milling or welding on the hardened face.

Working on Thanksgiving Day dinner, but wanted to take a few more pics of the items that are hard to see

The anvil is a Peter Wright 35" long and weighs 400lb. Going to look at some big hardwood rounds today

The blower isn't correct for this forge, but I will make it work  

IMG_5315.JPG

IMG_5314.JPG

IMG_5312.JPG

IMG_5313.JPG

14 minutes ago, CrazyGoatLady said:

Wow what a great collection! You already have more than I do and I've been at this for over two years. Congratulations on your acquisitions. And Happy Thanksgiving

To you as well

One thing I have learned in life, if you find a deal pounce on it!   

Nice assortment of tools!  I have to comment on the anvil "stand" though.  I realize you said you were looking for a hardwood round and I guess that it would be for the anvil but in the meantime, resist the temptation to forge anything while it is resting on those blocks!  I also suggest that you keep the swage block - if  It provides a solution to a problem once makes it worthwhile having.

1 hour ago, Gazz said:

Nice assortment of tools!  I have to comment on the anvil "stand" though.  I realize you said you were looking for a hardwood round and I guess that it would be for the anvil but in the meantime, resist the temptation to forge anything while it is resting on those blocks!  I also suggest that you keep the swage block - if  It provides a solution to a problem once makes it worthwhile having.

I know better than that, actually have another stack of block added to it. The anvil won't see a hammer until it is properly supported

Actually I did the blocks for now, as it is the exact height of my tailgate, so I can move it when I get my shop area prepared 

Heck why the green beans were cooking, I got the blower mounted up and connected 

IMG_5319.JPG

17 minutes ago, BillyBones said:

Ok, what is the flat thing in the last pic? I can not for the life of me figure it out and i know when you tell me i am going to go "DOH". 

Have a happy Thanks Giving. 

That would be a belt sander, needs motor etc.... 25.00 I had to grab it as well