I Forge Iron

List of makers currently producing anvils

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I once owned a 198# HB swell horned Farrier's anvil with an exceedingly narrow face and exceedingly big horn.  My work didn't profit from the narrow face and so I traded it for an anvil that I would use more.  Knowing what you need and then getting the anvil that's best for that has been the way to go for centuries!

I agree with that TP, do you have any recommendations for people who would benefit from a heavy narrow faced anvil? as in modern anvil makers.

also, Benona blacksmith and Marc1, without posting a link is there a price list available for these anvils? (BIG BLU)

Edited by Jonnytait
doiting

21 hours ago, Benona blacksmith said:

Toronto blacksmith also has cast a batch of anvils.

I think we should wait for confirmation before adding him to the list. I'm also wondering what people think about adding folks who do custom or limited-run production, but not as a regular thing? 

Yes, of course when buying a new anvil, you have to consider what you intend to forge on it and choose accordingly. Farriers favour narrow anvils, decorative/ architectural work benefits from a wide face possibly with a side shelf. Bladesmiths i suppose would probably benefit from a narrow face, but i don't really know that one.

As for prices, to pay ~$2000 for a 260# Blu, or $2000 for a 260 Nimba Centurion or ... to pay $2200 for a the best anvil, spanking new shiny beautiful polished 275# Refflinghaus model 57 .... is a no brainer. :)

Bladesmiths like lots of sweet spot face room to work generally; though it can be done very well on a 4"x4" post anvil. 

Ornamental work likes the later American anvils with long tapering horns and heels---if they can't get a southern german double horn style anvil. 

Heavy work goes well on the English fat waisted anvils that are almost all sweet spot on the face.

Varmint squashing was the preserve of the Sear's catalog anvils.

One can but dream of having a different anvil for every facet of the craft....

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Does anyone have any suggestions for a newly made, narrow faced but still fairly large anvil? Face width around 3 inches and a weight somewhere between 50-150lbs. Anvil configuration is not so important. Just curious to see if anyone has noticed ones available which I have missed. 

A horn and a hardy hole would be ideal. wouldn't need a pritchel hole and a heel could be a heel or a second horn, either way. Just basically interested in narrow face but still fairly heavy anvils in general. Doesn't seem to be a style of anvil currently made but I could be wrong?

The tall one's shank started as a piece of 2.5" sq stock, mild I believe, it was mostly worked down at a SWABA, (now NMABA) meeting at a *large* shop---my picture under my name shows me working it under a 200# Chambersburg (one of the 5 powerhammers active in the shop), we welded a piece of 1" round stock onto it for a handle.  The smaller one with the twist, was 1.5" A-36 stock. I did at a forging get together down in Southern NM in Pep Gomez's shop. It was also roughed out with a power hammer and twisted with a "wrench" built just for that task and Pep and I  on it laughing like loons as we did the twist.  I planned to hardface the tenon end; but haven really needed it for the work I do on them---yet.

I have a milk crate of sledge hammer heads of various shapes and when I get *my* power hammer running I have some medium carbon steel I can use for shanks and heat treat the whole shebang!

The tall one was originally made to accompany my Y1K anvil, that had no horn, when it went to SCA events. The Y1K one is hardened and was made by a smith who gets to play with the *big* toys---the spike was forged down from the original stock, *not* welded on! That first picture was a stand to hold both the tall stake anvil and the Y1K anvil; I was just using it to show both stake anvils together.

Y1Kanvil2.jpg.5f962d292513f4eb5832cd657e68e89b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...