I Forge Iron

checkered carving knife

Ed Steinkirchner

1085 for the blade, which is about 1 1/2" long or so, handle is cherry wood about 4" long and is my first forray into checkering. Which turned out great but i learned a whole lot of things to NOT do, so the next one will be better. It's all finished with a copper ferrule and a simple leather sheath. Its hands down my favorite carving knife to date. 

IMG_20181227_125513.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

It's  super late but for the sake of people reading this later who are wondering:

these are the checkering tools i used, but this knife was the first thing i had ever done with them so it didnt turn out fantastic but it makes for a really nice grip which really helps avoid self inflicted injury!

FYI its not smart to checker around something with an odd shape like this because the lines distort as they wrap around. the better way to go is to make the classic diamond shapes. I mean they exist that way for a reason as i learned!

there are three cutters in my set, theyre used like a saw almost, rubbing them back and forth to cut the lines. you use the single wide one to cut the starting line then use one of the double ones to follow, one side riding in  the previous groove and the parallel one cutting a new one, then you move to the next line and repeat. The tools in my small set are:The single line cutter, the narrow v cutter, and a slightly wider u shaped cutter. You should be able to imagine how they work by a glance at the pics.

i think any semi competent Smith could make one of these tools once theyve used them

IMG_20200730_215922.jpg

IMG_20200730_213617.jpg

IMG_20200730_213705.jpg

IMG_20200730_213644.jpg