I Forge Iron

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Folks,

This topic has motivated me,  (the SLAG), to do a little research on the web, actually U-tube, There is enough at that one site to spend a lifetime reading all manner of 'nifty stuff'.

One video was particularly informative,

It gives a very thorough description of the pyrolysis, and shows an excellent view and description of a sample retort.  

It is long winded, but worth viewing. (I managed to see it to its conclusion. Me with a text book type of attention deficit disorder.

Sorry about the picture. I just wanted to show the u.r.l. but the software generated this picture.  GRRR.

Moderators feel free to make that exchange.

Anyways, there you have it,

Nota bene,  there a large number of videos showing the process, and variations thereof.

Regards,

SLAG.

200 plus pounds in these two blocks is all I have. Will be minimally sectioning them off for test pieces and display purposes.

Ah, Thomas, these blobs are from crude oil. I will be surprised if I am incorrect, but not to proud to be proven wrong by more than my very amateur analysis. There was a distinct absence of volatile aromatics under the torch.

What would one call "the anthracite of crude oil"?

Test samples will be made available upon request.

SLAG, thanks for the added info.

Robert Taylor

Mentioned it yesterday at 8:28 am: "though even more like a peat burning forge."

But peat as a fuel is very much not a common thing here in the USA.

"Peat Moss" is a much looser lighter thing for soil use than peat headed towards lignite and used as fuel in the UK and northern Europe.

6 hours ago, anvil said:

back to tumbleweeds

Thomas, 'twould be a shame to eradicate an invasive species of such song and story.......

......and did it invade on its own (the winds) volition?

I need to know - where DID they blow in from?

Charles, I would like to see that!

Robert Taylor

Wikipedia:   "They are thought to be native to Eurasia, but when their seeds entered North America in shipments of agricultural seeds, they became naturalized in large areas. In the cinema genre of Westerns, they have long been symbols of frontier areas. Kali tragus is the so-called "Russian thistle". It is an annual plant that breaks off at the stem base when it dies, and forms a tumbleweed, dispersing its seeds as the wind rolls it along.  It is said to have arrived in the United States in shipments of flax seeds to South Dakota, perhaps about 1870. It now is a noxious weed throughout North America"

What I remember from more definitive sources that are not online to copy...Amazing how they arrived just in time for the "old west" decades!

They didn’t; they arrived in time for the cinematic version of the “old west”. The seeds arrived about 1870, the frontier was closed in 1890, the very first western (“The Great Train Robbery”) was filmed in 1903, and the genre became popular in the late 1930s. That’s more than sixty years for tumbleweeds to spread enough that when westerns really took off in the 1950s and 1960s, everyone assumed that they’d been there the whole time. 

Interesting object lesson in how our perception of historic events is conditioned by our media exposure. We see the same thing with people whose “knowledge” of blacksmithing is formed by movies and video games. Even a “reality” show like “Forged in Fire” presents a version of reality that’s staged and edited for entertainment value rather than a comprehensive depiction of actual bladesmithing — and that becomes everyone’s “understand” of what blacksmithing “really is”.

I was recently reading "Roughing It" by Mark Twain and in it you can see the "creation" of the Old West getting started, written 1870-1871. In contrast I also was reading a journal written by a Dr travelling out to the gold fields in California, a much grimmer read as a cholera epidemic was in progress.  I also remember stopping by one of the Iconic cattle trails in Oklahoma and reading the historical marker that mentioned that a bunch of cowboys on a dive had been camped nearby and died of measles.

Not specific to the old west, there is a classic work by Norm Cantor about "Inventing the Middle Ages"

Several people on this thread have commented that they'd rather be forging than using their time to make charcoal from leaves. 

That's great! I have no problem with that. For me, I'm finding that part of the joy of this hobby is the logistics puzzle. I'm not just learning how to heat and form iron. I'm learning how to acquire fuel, burn it in a way by which my neighbors remain my friends, organize my friends into a labor force, and still care for my family. I'm having fun and I haven't even started forging.

• 2 years later...