I Forge Iron

New Smith in Oregon, Looking for historical groups, and open forges!

Goodfellow

Hey All! I'm a beginner blacksmith interested in historical recreation. My main interest is in the Vendel period, but I have a general love of scandinavian ironwork. I live in Portland Oregon, and unfortunately can't have my own forge at the moment (Condo, insurance, etc) so I have to rent time at a local forge when they have open forge nights. Unfortunately it's only open once a week for two hours, which obviously presents a problem for larger projects.

I've mostly done small decorative and practical projects (S hooks, nails), but I'm getting more and more interested in making blades. I'm currently working on a continental style Seax, just as a project to find out all the pain points of making a blade, and specifically a big one. My "dream project" Is making some form of Type X sword complete with pattern welding, but that's a long ways off ;). I'm a HEMA practitioner (Historical European Martial Arts), which includes test cutting on tatami mats. I would love to make my own blade and use it to compete in a cutting competition eventually.

I'm interested in suggestions of places to look as far as mentorship / forges I can practice at. I'm interested in renting time, or bartering- I have a background in video, woodworking, and know a little bit about leather working.

46 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

Have you joined up with the local ABANA affiliate?  Probably the best place to find other smiths local to you.

Not yet, but I plan on it after the holidays. I did see there was a group that has a monthly meetup in Longview, which is quite close to me.