I Forge Iron

Dos anyone know where a fella could find something from which to make an anvil suitable for a 40-60 pound power hammer? I live in Mechanicsville, VA and was thinking maybe the shipyards in Norfolk would be a good starting point but most scrap yards I contacted are "Single-Contract Sellers" and can't sell me even so much as an old rusty nail.

Any help would be welcomed.

Bill

Maybe try a heavy equipment repair shop.  I know dozers, backhoes,cranes and such have large counterweights. Steel supply yard or maybe a fabrication shop that could order the steel from the supplier they use. I'm sure that there will be some other suggestions by others soon that will probably be much better than those I've offered. Good luck.

Pnut

The local steel supplier here sells remnants for not much more than scrap prices, about thirty cents a pound for most steel considered medium carbon and below. I don't blame you for not wanting to pay new prices. I've heard of people using axle shafts from trucks as anvils for PH's.  

Pnut

1 hour ago, Glenn said:

Glen, I'm after a 45-60 pound hammer so I'm assuming the recommended ratio is 10:1 so I guess I need something 450-600 pounds. I'd be willing to laminate some 1" plate in strips to get to that weight as well but one solid piece is preferred.

Bill

I would check with the shipyards. Try to speak with a Supervisor, not the office. I was given a 4' section of 6" prop shaft just by talking to the right person. You may have more luck with a repair yard then new construction, but both have a lot of scrap. Catch the workers getting off shift, or at their local stopping place after work, and put the word out what your looking for and ask who you need to talk to.

Prokopto

I recently picked up some free steel from a shop that repairs large jack hammers, the kind that are attached to a large backhoe or excavator. The largest i have is 5" diameter I had a metallurgist test it and it was 4142 steel. The shop i got the material from had up to 8" diameter jack hammer bits. All of the large equipment rental companies should have this type of jack hammer but might not have the really big bits. I posted some pictures of the last stuff i picked up on the " it followed me home thread " a few days ago.  I would check with the maintenance or service department of any large rental company.