I Forge Iron

The new price standard for anvils

You already OWN an anvil so the " I guess I will never own an anvil." is bogus.  Now you don't own a London Pattern anvil but all blacksmiths for over 2000 years haven't owned London Pattern anvils either and folks all over the world are smithing without one right now.

I've gotten anvils FREE using the TPAAAT; it might not be fast but if you invest the time and effort it's pretty sure...You can start saving so you have cash in hand when you do find a reasonably priced one.

There were a lot more London Pattern anvils made in the USA, (not to mentioned imported), than there were Edsels; so they are a lot more common than some things!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have absolutely no regrets buying a new anvil. Used anvils are rare around here and command big bucks and are frequently in poor shape. 

I paid $6.30 per pound and could not be happier. Good used ones go for around 4 bucks per pound or more, sometimes alot more. I got the shape and material I wanted and in new condition for only a few hundred more

Rojo Pedro,  well said.

I'm a huge fan of buying new. 

The only thing that I miss with a new anvil is seeing how the anvil has stood the test of time.

I've seen anvils beat up from normal use be it from any brand or make.

I've also seen a brand or make with extreme wear on parts of the anvil but the face and horn are perfect. 

This just shows how the anvils have stood the test of time and really varies across the board .  

Seeing certain brands stand up better then others over the long haul is interesting to me for sure.  

• 5 months later...

Been looking for an anvil for a couple years now. Finally found one for sale. Unfortunately the owner seemed quite insane and would not even begin to consider my offer. It was an old beat up 42 pound anvil. I offered 50 or 75 dollars for it. He would not budge from the absolutely insane price of $500.  He kept going on about his price being reasonable since anvils are so rare. If I spend $500 on an anvil I won't be able to carry it out one handed. Guess I'll spend another year on my two inch thick six inch wide "anvil". 

Did you point out how much a brand NEW, American made anvil costs? Maybe print out a little info from American anvil makers to take around next time you bargain over one.

In the mean time keep your eyes open for a more effective improvised anvil. 1" thick on the flat is better than nothing but you can do a lot better for not much. Remember, truck and heavy machinery repair shops scrap improvised anvil candidates all the time. Bull dozers are made of anvils. 

Frosty The Lucky.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Searching for anvils can be fun. Start using Thomas's method. While your using that one, visit antique stores, flea markets, auctions, craigs list, market place. I watched an anvil for a year at an antique store before I made an offer, they didnt take my offer but I didn't pay what they were asking and it went home with me. Takes some patience.

1 hour ago, TWISTEDWILLOW said:

Longbow hunter, we’re your people is down here? 

Twistedwillow: Where do you live really? I don't recognize the dialect of English. I've known lots of Okies and that doesn't ring a bell.

Frosty The Lucky.

Haha, no hes a long time family friend. We use to go to deer camp every year at his place, one of the places that made me love easyern OK so much. Now im in wide open KS, lol. He was a cop and deputy for years in Vian and Gore. Last i heard he was a tribal cop now, but heck he may have since retired. 

• 1 year later...

A few months ago I was looking at a house I was considering buying and found an old anvil on the front step that was basically just being used as decor (it was an old house). 

I didn't buy the house, but did buy the anvil. It's a 132 lb Samson for $300 (February-ish 2022). Pics in the "show me your anvil" thread. 

My main working anvil, a 173 lb Fisher, I paid $500 for about 5 years ago at a scrap yard. 

My first, which I sold to pay for the Fisher above, was a 230 lb mousehole, which I got along with a post vise, hand-crank drill press, and huge coal table-forge for $500 from a retiring old-timer. 

Deals are out there, to be sure. 

That said, I feel like $5/lb is a fair market value for good condition. 

Look at other tools - a beverly shear used runs $500+ (a new B3 is $1450). I was lucky enough to find a used B3 for $300 and was immediately offered $600 to resell. I declined. I love my B3 - it's a beast!

A good brand sheet metal bench punch (Roper Whitney Model 16) is $400+ (new over $700). 

A smith uses an anvil much more than any of those, so...

I think I approximately agree with you.  For comparison purposes I check the per pound price of new anvils at Blacksmith Depot.  They were all in the 165-310 pounds range and the prices varied from $6.93/lb. to $11.69/pound.  So, in comparison, a used anvil in good shape for $5/lb. is a decent price.

That said, prices will vary a LOT depending on the demand and availability in a particular area.  I think that Billy (Twisted Willow) has been finding decent anvils in Oklahoma at $2-3.50/lb..  I've seen auctions drive up prices to near or above new prices.

At the end of the day the Fair Market Value of anything is the amount the buyer is willing to give and the amount the seller is willing to take.  Hopefully, those two amounts coincide and everyone leaves the transaction happy.

GNM

(late of 1/C/1/12 Cav, 1 Cav Div (Airmobile), RVN, 1970-71)