I Forge Iron

Mechanical Hammer in Flood

Hypothetical scenario:

I'm wondering if a serious flood (aka. submersion) would do any lasting damage to a mechanical power hammer (bradley strap)? My feeling is that it's so greased up it would be fine. The motor, likely not?   

Anyone experience such a case or have thoughts? 

Thanks

20 years ago or so a Colorado coal mine had a cave in. The owners rebuilt the mine completely and exceeded all guidelines. This included all equipment. Alas politics combined with other considerations, they closed the mine. So they cosmolined all equipment and flooded the mine. If they decide to reopen the mine, tomorrow or a hundred years from now, all that's needed is to pump out the water(fresh water) remove the cosmoline and go back to work. 

If it is in a flood, then just dry it off, grease where needed, and go to work.

"remove the cosmoline"---I double plus unvolunteer for that task!   Also while mine water may be fresh it may also be acidic or full of metals or even  heavy metals depending on the mine. 

Flooding it was a great way of keeping people out of it and everything unvandalized or stolen.

We had a Little Giant in our fab shop in New Orleans sit under 5ft of water salt for two weeks after Katrina. No one had time to touch it for a year. When the man who worked in the shop had time he pressure washed it, let it dry and oiled it up then turned the power on and it ran perfect.