I Forge Iron

What is this? I’m really new

Hi Dirk R,  Welcome aboard, The low res photo's are playing havoc with details of the anvil. also having them mounted sideways is a problem as well. 

When you take a photo take it in landscape mode.. Or download them onto a computer and rotate and save them. 

the Meta data of the photo tells the server which way the photo was taken. 

I’m back. Learning my way around   But .... very slowly. The numbers are 128  87748. 
I can’t find any discernible image but there looks to be some sort of small stamp to the left of the numbers. 
It rings and a ball bearing bounces almost to drop point. 
ive always wanted to work with metal so I’m starting. 

FAFB2780-8866-4F61-872C-C18FE04D521B.jpeg

E8E67CF2-E2A0-429B-AB80-FFA88A93FD66.jpeg

AF75A876-926D-4049-81CE-B6B890FF03B4.jpeg

721638C4-4A25-4F6A-8364-6BDA442DEA1E.jpeg

D9D9C859-6768-4EE3-8106-C1869AB86734.jpeg

79E65D30-4018-4EF4-AFBC-20F1305CB025.jpeg

AD5A8D38-17A8-4D9C-AF52-EC9147A341FD.jpeg

How about a picture of the bottom of the anvil, the shape of the possible indentation can be quite specific; though the weight on the left front foot and the serial on the right front foot is indicative too.  It may have lost a pound or two when they ground the feet down and drilled the mounting holes; but if the ball bearing test is good then it's a good anvil no matter who made it!

Can you repeat it using a yardstick to get an objective number?

128# is a great size, still small enough to travel with but large enough to do a lot of work on it.  Pair it with a striking anvil and you're golden even if you want to do heavy work.

23 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

How about a picture of the bottom of the anvil, the shape of the possible indentation can be quite specific; though the weight on the left front foot and the serial on the right front foot is indicative too.  It may have lost a pound or two when they ground the feet down and drilled the mounting holes; but if the ball bearing test is good then it's a good anvil no matter who made it!

Can you repeat it using a yardstick to get an objective number?

128# is a great size, still small enough to travel with but large enough to do a lot of work on it.  Pair it with a striking anvil and you're golden even if you want to do heavy work.

Hi Gentlemen 

Here is the bottom. I think the stamp to the left of the numbers is a K. Stamped sideways as my camera was not. 
my bathroom scale says 125#. 
sure appreciate you all. 
im going to silicon the bottom to slow the ringing?  That sound like a good idea from other posts.  Only dry or wet?

thanks again. DirkR

FABB1A12-0730-4EA5-94A1-8EB0CF3B473F.jpeg

B03D22AD-D59E-4584-AD1B-983336A0FBAB.jpeg

I did the bounce with a yardstick in several places all about the same.  Dropped ballbearing from 20 inches and it came back to 15. Pretty consistently. 
raining here today so not outside much. 
Thanks Dirk