I Forge Iron

Good bellows?

natkova

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is 5 mm thick about quarter of inch , eood.is not to heavy,  its thick but not so heavy for flaps I think.

Would twist board make me a problem for gasket/valve?

Board Is twisted like this ( and flaps come like this on top I( would air leak underneath I do not know I think it wont that much , but i am not sure.

You want as good of a seal as you can get. I used T6 Aluminum sheet metal for mine and installed a layer of wool felt around the opening to make the gasket.

Two reasons for this: If it is the valve to the outside---the intake, then you lose efficiency and after a couple of hundred thousand pumps you may regret any losses!

The second is that if it is the inside valve then any leaking can pull hot gasses of small bits of burning fuel into the bellows (unless you have a check valve on the output).

I think I need to but somekind of frame that is level as compered to the flaps, now it is not leveled I used to skip that part, I would take picture on sunday and see what can be done, so I dont need to rush with covering I gor these two hides for 30 dollars 60 convertibilr mark, wich is used in Bosnia and Herzegovina.

To be honest I ignored and I guesed that flaps would cover all of board but board is twistes.

I made ribs today, I tried old fashioned way, but as iam a litle bit lazy and wanted to save good piece of lumber and lot's of time  I used board instead of lumber pieces  that are glued and niled together.

IMG_20191215_110425.jpg

IMG_20191215_120913.jpg

Here because midle board eas splited a litle bit I disnt wanted to risk it spliting even more , so I used one small blocks on two siedes under midle board nailed them to baord and drilled them, than I punched those rods in that blocks instead of middle board as you can see

IMG_20191215_101653.jpg

On 12/13/2019 at 3:36 PM, ThomasPowers said:

You want as good of a seal as you can get. I used T6 Aluminum sheet metal for mine and installed a layer of wool felt around the opening to make the gasket.

I checked today i have leakage  on flaps, i wont put leather in it, problem is because board is twisted, flaps dont sit flat on it, i think i would need to somehow glue some board on this board which have badder flatter shape. This create  place where small bit's of air can leak, i don't want to put leather and see disappointment.

Middle board shape is better, but i don't like how those flaps  are hinged i think i need to work on them again. In previous setup, there were only some kind of leather strips without even using boards. Guy who made those bellows used leather an some xxxx metal striping to hold that leather.

Iam thinking to build valves  like this guy did .

• 3 weeks later...

I redo valves, I used tehnique that is used in fireplecebellows  just put one piece of leather over that would qct as gasket.

Why ?Because board is not flat, so flaps cant sit on it properly

IMG_20200104_161908.jpg

On 1/3/2020 at 3:55 PM, grimcat27 said:

Just cut the back off of a leather couch. That way its free.

I have hide but.I.hesistate to attach it on bellows, I had bad.expirience with bellows before, I check everything just to.make sure, and I noticed that.mine 8mm (millimeters) staples sre too short to hold cowhide, I think.I.need.something long as 1/2 inch.

Thomas I have issue with board  it is not.so.flat, I cant find flap that would sit flat on it.

I can make another bottom board it is not hard, but I dont want , I want to keep this board as lon aa I can, I want to restaurate it, use old parts as more as I can.

On 1/6/2020 at 3:47 PM, natkova said:

it is not.so.flat,

Have you tried wetting or steaming it and putting weights on a flat surface to straighten it out? I had some shelving that was badly warped and that's what I did and it worked well, took several weeks sprinkling water on them to flatten them.