I Forge Iron

Propane prices

ThomasPowers

Usually the price climbs during heating season out here and drops during the summer.  $1.09 and I'd fill every tank in the shop---save the one that leaks. (Odd sized tank that was gifted to me with a plug in the main opening to control the leaking.  We finally ran it dry and need to replace the valve or cut the tank up...)

Bulk delivery is about 1/2 what Small tank refills are (30# tanks cost me $20 each) and exchanges are twice that. Now if you have old bottles that need upgraded valves, exchanges are an easy way to deal with them.  My dealer suggests I get a bulk tank for filling bottles, but I am in process of putting a 100 gallon automotive propane tank on the weld trailer, converting to a propane carberator and cutting torch. The welder dosnt get used enugh and the carberator gums up, and the price off acetaline is rediculace.   

Yeah, seems like $1.30 sticks in my head last time I filled my big tank. That was a couple years back though.

Talking about propane, is anybody familiar with a Smith's NE180 torch? I found one in an old toolbox in my Dads shop. It has a NE184-11 tip on it. I'm wondering if it will work with propane.

Every hit I get on the first 2 pages of a search list the Smith ne 180 as an air acetylene soldering torch. You'll need to replace all the seals and the regulator if it has one with propane rated rubber. Propane is very chemically active and degrades rubber not formulated for it and is unsafe for use. Once you use propane with an unrated system it's no longer safe to use with the proper fuel. 

You might put the word out to trade.

Frosty The Lucky.