I Forge Iron

Longhorn video

I hope this works. This is a video for Chris, who wanted to know how I make those longhorn bull billy lifters. Now, remember that neither the camera man or the blacksmith are experts, but for a first go at creating a video demo, it's passable. It's a bit long but just scroll ahead.

Aus, I love it. It's nice to be able to see the birth of your famous longhorn heads. You shouldn't apologize for the length of the video either. I like them like that when there is more of what's actually happening. More real time is what I mean to say. That's why I like JLP services videos because it shows more of the actual time it takes to make something. Most videos, a project is done in 10 minutes or less and that gives it a skewed idea of how long it takes. The heats alone take up a lot of time. And the demonstrators skill also determines how fast and well its done. I guess my meaning is, for new people especially, I think it would be better for them to see there is quite a bit of time involved in forging than is usually seen. So they don't get frustrated if they can't get it done in super human speed. I'd like to be able to see more of how people finish their items as well. Filing, sanding, waxing, etc. That's a problem area for me. Hope this makes sense and you should make more videos. Like how you make the cobras. Thanks for sharing

Thank you for the comments KO and CGL. Yes, perhaps we'll have ago at a cobra video, maybe with some commentary this time. This one was a learning experience.

(It was remiss of me earlier not to acknowledge my work colleague, Morris (Brasso) who was the man behind the Go Pro. Well done!)

I've always been intrigued by your longhorn items.  Being an old Texas boy, I have a soft spot in my heart for longhorns.  Wonderful to finally see you make one.  Now, I have a yearning to try some out myself.  Thanks for posting it.

Yeah Aus and I had a conversation about Longhorns once and I told him you take it for granted when you actually see them every day. If I remember right, I believe he said they aren't common in Australia. There are some in the pasture that adjoins the pasture right behind us. Of course there are horses and cattle at least every other place around us also. To my great frustration, we don't have any... but I do get to see them any time I want

No worries, Mr SLAG. Thanks for looking. Arkie, you will enjoy making one, I'm sure. Let us know.

And CGL, yes we do have longhorns in Australia. Some quite close to us, but these are a few hundred km down the road. I model mine on the one on the right in the second pic that scrolls up.

https://texaslonghorn.com.au/

aus had sent me that link to the Australian longhorns some time back, but I had misplaced it.  Thanks to aus for posting it again!  It blew my mind that longhorns were that prevalent in Australia other side of the globe.  I'm pleased that they have them down under to share with others.

Thanks Das. Incidentally, that's not me coughing in the background … I think the forge smoke might have been getting at one of the visitors. Interesting that you could hear.the birds … what does 'on par' mean?

There were some very nice smells coming from the forge too! I usually get my charcoal from the bush, but the last lot of charcoal I found came from a barbecue fire and the cooks must have tossed the left over onion rings on the coals. Steak and onion smells drifted across from the forge all morning. It was making the camera man hungry.  

Lol. Never know with grilling. I know the peanut oil I quench in occassionally makes me hungry since it was used to fry a Turkey. 

"On par" is kind of a golfing term. "Par for the course." It means average or usual. Expected or usual in this case. We dont have all the crazy critters you have so where you probably block them out, they stand out to my ears here in the U.S. Anyway, I'd love more Aussie videos. The accent (i know... ) and technique was fun an informative. I would have though to do the full horns first. 

Didn't realize that was filmed durring a visitation. 

OK. I have heard of par for the course etc, just never heard it used in the way you did.

If we do another video, we will make it during a quiet time after the visitors have gone. And I don't do the full horns first because as they are very thin there's always the risk of melting them. I leave them thick until all the face bits are on and the large bend is done.

I'll see if Brasso is willing to make another 'Aussie video'. Not sure what though.