I Forge Iron

Welcome to the insanity. Have you read this yet? READ THIS FIRST  It will help you get the best out of the forum. If you edit your profile to show your location, you may be surprised how many members are near you and could offer advice.

The only way to tell if the handle will make a good blade will be to test it to see if it will harden. I wouldn't waste my time because I doubt it will be any good.

I agree with pnut, most likely mild steal, pressed metal or aluminium, come along handles a generally short of length , with all the work being done by the geared mechanical advantage, I've seen them bent, broken and abused and nothing leads me to think they are made of anything of note. As a side note, whether by design or coincidence, comalongs are hard to break or damage when used correctly and to it's rating, but you add a "cheater bar" to the handle for a bit of extra grunt, and you will kill it very quickly.

WARNING! come-along handles are often plated. Putting plated steel in the forge can put you in the hospital or even can KILL YOU. (Each has happened to friends of mine!  The first was a 19 year old kid who ended up with a week long hospital bill; killed his hopes of self employment. The second; well, I gave the parting toast for him at Quad-State that year.)

Why not use a piece of leaf spring or coil spring from an Auto?  They are generally both good for knives and free if you know any mechanics or if you ask at a small shop. I can pick them up for 20 US cents a pound at my local scrapyard.

If you are near Socorro NM; let me know and I'll give you a coil spring this Saturday.  My mechanic said I could have anything in his scrap pile---several tons of metal!

Thank you all, Ill have to do some testing when im back at the shop. 

And to thomasPowers, It is not plated,  It was originally painted yellow and is extremely rusted, And my shop is very well ventilated.

And as for the reason I want to forged this. I just want to have fun really.. I just wanted to make things out of something that you wouldn't expect, This will be my knife so if its a mild steel ill forged it to put up somewhere. 

Thanks everyone for the help!