I Forge Iron

Want to build a small corner shelf.

Donal Harris

I am wanting to reproduce this in steel. The slats from 3/4” x 1/8” flat bar. The shelves from 3/4” steel cut as valentines. 

I am thinking of connecting the slats to the shelves using blind copper rivets. The shelves will not need to hold anything weighty. Just personal hygiene items, tooth brush, razor, beard cream, manly moisturizing items, brush and beard comb.  Perhaps a small copper bowl for pocket change and keys. 

Will copper rivets hold?

I forgot, it is 24” high  

44E37532-63E8-4396-A4F2-2396482EE62F.jpeg

391274FB-368A-43D5-9C11-65D786EE383E.jpeg

292EA82F-7E1C-4527-B9B6-2F270D9A1CF2.jpeg

If I were making this I would consider cutting the shelves out of sheet stock (probably something on the order of 16 GA) and using bar stock for the uprights  I would bend a pair of large rectangular tabs for the "flat" side of the hearts and weld or rivet that to the uprights (blind rivets not required and the heads could be a nice accent).  There are a number of options for the "curved" side of the hearts depending on your equipment set, skills and aesthetics.  Probably the most difficult would be to try to raise them out of the sheet stock (unless you would accept a ruffled edge, which might be a nice touch).  You could form them out of 1/8" bar stock and either weld or rivet them to smaller tabs bent down from the shelf material as well.  A rolled edge might also be an option, but I don't know too much about doing that.  If I wanted a rolled edge I might try to get the hearts fabricated by a sheet metal shop and assemble the rest myself.

Good luck.  Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

It won’t go on the wall. I plan to sit it in the corner by my sink.

i had considered oak, but it seems a bit plain. i have plenty of copper sheet. I had considered forming the copper over the oak. 

I may do Osage Orange. I have plenty of that. And I have an old Delta bandsaw to cut the hearts  

3/4 inch plate was just because it was what I have. But I was concerned about my ability to cut it into hearts.

i have no stainless, so mild steel it will need to be. 

How can I connect the straps to the wooden hearts and still have the copper riveted look I was wanting?