I Forge Iron

287 lb Euro Columbian Anvil (Possible purchase)

Hi guys,

I'm a new blacksmith and have been looking for an anvil for a little over a month. I've had my eye on this one for a while but didn't think I wanted one quite so heavy. I'd originally been looking in the 70-150lb range due to wanting the ability to move it around my garage when I need to say, park in it. But this thing is just such a beauty, and I really liked this style of anvil that I used while taking a class last weekend (though the ring was crazy loud). Do you guys have any opinions on it? This is the only picture he has listed, but it comes with the stand and everything (which is exciting for me because i don't have a welder and would rather have a metal stand.. He's about a 30 minute drive from where I work. I want to try to haggle him down a little from his $1300 price, but not sure how far I should go. Probably going to have to base it on the actual state of the face.

Euro Columbo.jpg

That’s a bit more than $4/lb. Not a no-brainier, but not bad if the condition is decent. Is that within your budget?

The best way to haggle is to think of two prices: what you’d like to pay, and the maximum that you will pay. Ask for less than the first (to give room for bargaining), but be willing to walk away if the seller won’t go at or below the second. 

Big sure feels good to work on but...imagine the anvil you might be able to get and still have a bunch left over to buy some other cool tools for that money.

But also remember the "National Bank of Iron".  That anvil will always have resale value (assuming it checks out as good) even if anvil prices drop, so you aren't paying 1300-odd dollars, you are simply putting most of that cash into the "bank of iron" for a while.  The interest you earn is the ability to use the anvil while your money is in that bank account.  It could even turn a profit.

I was really looking to only spend 400-500 originally. But that was for the 70-150 lb range. I never really set a full budget though, I've mostly just been looking at price/lb. I've got most of my tools(half a dozen hammers, tongs, and files, HF belt/circ sander, angle grinder) and a good stock of scrap, I just have to get a forge and an anvil.

The same guy is also selling a 2x72 grinder, and I thought about trying to haggle by buying both, but I'm not really sure the grinder is worth it right now. He's asking 900 for it. I do eventually want one though, so I'm still considering it.

I do like the Bank of Iron thought of it. It's still a decent chunk of change to throw in the Bank of Iron though lol. 

As a beginner myself, who has a 217# Peter Wright, unless you have the money burning a hole in your pocket and just want to spend it I think I would pass on that one. It looks like a fine anvil, but they extra cost would provide some good seed money for some other items you could use.

There is a guy just south of Mansfield who has a 160# English pattern for $350, that's the direction I would go personally. It's not a perfect anvil, but it's usable. A lot would also depend on the type of smithing you plan on doing as well.

Unfortunately he already sold it. Just messaged him. I've seen a few others for 4-500, I'm just never sure if it's the right thing or not. I'm a bit of a perfectionist, in terms of what I make and what I use. So its hard for me to be settle for a rough anvil or an ASO, even though I know they would definitely make due.

I've got the money to spend, even if I'm not sure if I should be spending it all on something I'm just starting out with. I really want it, I just know I probably shouldn't spend that much money on it. Although I do like the thought of buying an extremely nice anvil now so I basically never have to worry about buying one again.

In terms of the kinds of smithing, I mostly want to do forged bladesmithing. But I also want to do art pieces and general blacksmithing as well. I think my first project is going to be a coat rack, because I'm tired of my fiance and I stacking out dining room chairs with coats lol.

Too bad you just missed Quad-State in Troy OH; there are usually several hundred anvils for sale onsite there.  I'd talk with the folks in the local blacksmithing group, (Ohio had at least 3 last time I checked...), also Ohio is where I proved in the TPAAAT. I'd go that route and try to save a bunch of cash!