I Forge Iron

2nd Anvil in 13 years!

I just got a deal (by Left Coast standards anyway) on my second anvil!

I was getting ready to take the dogs to the park, my phone was close to dead so I sat down to let it charge a bit before heading out.  Saw the craigslist ad for a 161 pound Peter Wright, (my current anvil is a 104 lb PW),

fired off an email and then, reading the listing more carefully, actually texted the guy as per the instructions, 'is this still availabe?'

text fires right back 'yes it is'.  Check the traffic and its 30 minutes south of me (San Francisco Bay Area)

Hop in the car, text the guy I'll be there soon and hit zero traffic on a Sunday afternoon! Kismet! He's got it loaded on a handtruck already, the  cash flew out of my wallet so fast it may have broken the sound barrier!

No traffic on the way home either (almost unheard of). A bit heavy to lift by myself, but the pre 1910 (no Patent England) PW loaded into a wheelbarrow and then to the grass outside the smithy, where I could get a hand truck under it.

The dogs were really excited when I got back, having seen the 'get ready for a walk' posture before I ran off to buy my 2nd anvil. Been looking for a 150-175 lb anvil for a while now. A double horned German or French Pig anvil would be ideal, but I've been smiling about this 2nd Peter Wright for 3 days now!

161PW1.jpg

161PW4.jpg

161PW5.jpg

161PW2.jpg

that's always fun isn't it? too bad we don't get to do this more often. 

Then again, there are some that have a room full of misc. anvils.  

My last acquisition was a year ago and it still puts a smile on my face. Try explaining that to an outsider... lol.

Cheers.

I won't have a chance to play with this new toy till tomorrow, but the plan is to re route the cutout that fits my 104 PW in the live oak stump to fit the slightly larger base of the 161PW and then use it a bit!  New anvil is about an inch taller so it might be too high.  I could fab a new stand but I'd rather forge now and fabricate later.

Always been a fan of wooden anvil stands, but the scrap pile might have enough stock to fab up a tripod stand from square tube and plate.

My wife asked if I was going to get rid of the smaller one?  I was honestly dumbfounded!, why in the world would I get RID of an anvil, they are not that easy to find!

Ended up just filling in the routed depression in the stump with a scrap of 1/2 plywood, held down with liquid nails and mounted the new anvil on top of it. Couldn't find a pulley and the rope was all in the lovely wife's car so I ran a comealong up the the rafter and lifted it that way, not ideal and I"m in the (flea) market now for a small chain hoist. Spent both afternoons of the weekend hammering away. The extra mass is nice, the unchipped far edge is nicer and having both close to hand is nicest of all!

BothAnvils.jpg

On 10/18/2019 at 4:29 PM, Michael said:

New anvil is about an inch taller so the stand might be too high. 

Find the right height for the face of the anvil and then fabricate a platform to adjust YOUR height to match the anvil.  A piece of 3/4 inch plywood (or two) at the base of the anvil to stand on will make things a lot easier.

Lifting a anvil is OK if you have a beam or something to pull against to raise the anvil. If not, you can walk the anvil up an inclined board or use cribbing to raise the anvil.  Crib under the anvil, raise the horn and insert more cribbing.  Next raise the heel and insert cribbing, etc. It is real easy and can move a lot of weight into the air.  Be sure the cribbing is stable and does not want to tip over. Stay out of the way just the same.