I Forge Iron

Forge options for larger art

Whiskeymike

I’d like some advice on the most versatile gas forge shape for doing artwork.  I generally don’t do knives and focus on things that are more flat and large as a foot print.  For example, I’m taking saw blades 7-11” and drawing it into a bowl with a swage block or cupping tool.  So it might start 10”-10” by 1/4”, but after forging it becomes 6’’x6”x4”. Other pieces are things like masks I’ve read the burner and forge threads.  I’m trying to heed Mikey and Frosty’s advice of building the smallest forge that will work.   I’m currently using coal forge and OA torch, but would like to use a 

‘So far, the design that essential craftsman uses for his forge with forced air ribbon burners seems like the ideal fit.  If there are ways to put larger items in a smaller forge, would love to hear ideas.

Have you looked at Oxy-Propane rosebuds?   Propane is a lot easier to source (and cheaper) than acetylene; you need different tips/hoses/regulators; but they will get paid for FAST with the savings in gas costs., Not good for welding but better for heating and cutting.

Also look at some of the custom forge designs for armouring.  (Eric Thing designed one that would be great for "bowling" and yes a lot of armourers use the British spelling of armor...)

A brick pile forge has a lot of "stack it the way you need it" variability.