I Forge Iron

Take a guess at the makeup of this anvil?

My guess would be Arm and Hammer from the very unfinished under heel and arc welded waist. I saw a branded A&H in an Amish farrier shop that had the very rough under heel and a very obvious arc welded waist.

Could be wrong but It's my guess and I'm sticking to it!

Nice anvil by the way.

I just reread the post with the 222XXX s/n and weight, so I stand corrected again. (Hanging head in shame). A&H seems to have gone into the 51XXX range.

I revise my guess to Trenton...1947 or 1948.

You rescued a nice looking anvil, I hope it serves you well.

Cool.

The A&H I saw at the Amish farrier had a S/N and welded waist that didn't fit in the AIA S/N range with a welded waist. I don't remember the specifics, just that it didn't fit into what RP had seen. I know there are lots of anvils that have not been documented.

RP didn't document any HB made anvils above a certain S/N with another trade mark. I have an H Hudson with a S/N well outside the ones he documented.  They exist, RP just never saw them. He did do a fantastic job researching and publishing what he found.

I hope you continue to add to his research and share the information as you have been doing.

Mark   

12 hours ago, Black Frog said:

With a serial number like that, it would not be A&H.

Most likely Trenton.  Take a closeup pic of the  serial number.  different companies used different character styles for their number stamps.

Here are the pictures of anyone is curious.

IMG_20191019_142219.jpg

IMG_20191019_142225.jpg

There were three other guys bidding on it. I think it helped that it is harvest time, so allot of the farmers were busy in the field.  I came so close to getting it for 210, but at the last second the third guy jumped in.  Kind of a cool story, one of the guys who bid on it and also bought some other blacksmithing tools came up to congratulate me afterwards.  We got to talking and it turned out he was from my town as well (Pella) and lived just down the road from my in-laws.  He was nice enough to offer to let us load it into his truck and follow us back.  I had way under estimated my capabilities for moving this thing and had planned on detaching it from the stump and putting in my car....  The original owner also let us use his tractor with a front loader to lift it into the truck.   Needless to say I was very grateful for the help.  

I've always been amazed how willing to help other smiths have been when I've just outbid them on something we both have wanted. I bought a 6.5" postvise; definitely robustus, at a sale of a car repair business that had been in the same building since 1918, (so the old blacksmithing and woodworking tools were still in place...) Well I was recovering from having my appendix removed, old school scar, and was not supposed to lift anything.  I outbid two other smiths and they actually loaded it for me!