I Forge Iron

a new new one

Well----they ARE out there. Always said clist is home to alot of uberpriced gear---Still, I have a handful of things I check for on a daily basis. Less than a year ago,a 5 minute old post led to a 130 lb Hill at a super price------About 1 1/2 months ago another post popped up. 70 lbs,a nose job---and 10 minutes away!  Sent a response and waited---no message back for a day--- 2 days---3--------after awhile I assumed the anvil was sold and the seller just forgot to remove the post.But I still sent a message....every day. "hello----if you still have the anvil,I would love to take a look ! " not much more not much less------for a week--2 weeks----6 weeks (hey,its the way of my people)-----out o the blue----the call----"sorry for no response,life got in the way,still interested ?"----was on my way. Got there, we both agreed was heavier than 70---great ring and rebound,nose job was a negotiating detail. Seller a good guy---his company does design work and they have 2 bigger anvils they play with (gotta invite myself for a visit)---10 minutes later----back o the truck. Havent wire brushed it yet and the only visible marks (so far)  " ******T'S ******  and 2 intersecting ovals. threw it on the scale----130 lbs !   and under a buck a pound !

20191012_141559.jpeg

20191012_141544.jpeg

20191012_141704.jpeg

I posted a few shots yesterday of a recent find ( a new new one)------not much left of the makers mark----first clue----2 overlapped ovals, apx 1 1/2'"  x  1/4 " --------looks like 2 bandaids crossed on top of each other-------any ideas ?

THANKS !!!!!

Well, As I said----I posted a few photos of anvil yesterday ( a new new one) and I was hoping for a bit of help with an id. I seem to be having some issues re-posting the photo of what is left of the makers mark----I will continue to try. If I have made this too difficult, please disregard.

Rusty----you may be on to it----found an old auction photo of a Wilkinson,could be this ones brother,sans nose job. Trademark seems to reflect "Queens Cross" ----also seem to be able to read "PATENT"----

Thanks !!

Screenshot_2019-10-13-15-43-41.jpeg

Not sure how long my new Wilkinson (?!) will be under my roof, but Im guessing as long as it is,will probably keep its shortened stature.  But it got me thinking ----to restore the horn,options are probably 1)  build it up w new weld  2) weld on a prosthetic 3) get out the grinder.

Just curious----any anecdotal stories for "re-horning" ? hits ? misses?

luckily,have several options on that front----was pure curiosity----Im sure all types of remedies have been attempted,was opening the discussion to anecdotal stories-----anyone have luck building up w/weld ?  attaching a new tip ? 

Note that the body of that anvil will have been made from real wrought iron; which some folks find tricky to arc weld as it requires more filler than when welding mild steel.

I'm with the "make a hardy tool if you need a smaller horn to work on" group. Many anvils have blunted horns; though not to that extent, you only need to accidentally ram a sharp horn into your thigh, (if you are lucky!), one time to understand why so many have the tip of the horn hammered flat.

The crossed emblem was for Queens Cross Dudley where they were located.