I Forge Iron

How much travel for a 50lb-er?

Hello again to all.

My latest project is a tyre hammer and so far, I think my build is coming on quite well but again, I'm not to sure about something. 

So my first question is this:- is it down to personal preference for how much vertical travel the hammer has or are there any kind of parameters to go by? My hammer is around 45lb and I was thinking  around 6 inches. Any advice?

Second question:- I was going to set my hammer up so that it's just touchin the anvil when it's at it's lowest point in a stationary position therefore, the flex on the spring when it's in motion will give the hammer it's power.I was going to put some shims under the anvil so I have some adjustability. Am I going about this the right way as this is all guess work on my part or is there a better way to do it?

Any advice will be much appreciated, thanks

Gav

Thanks for the info guys.

The kind of stock I'll be working will be probably no thicker than 40mm. I plan to make Damascus blades however I'm quite a creative chap so who knows what my forging future holds?

As for the 'outliers', I'm not sure what you mean by this term? Can you explain please? 

Thanx,  Gav