I Forge Iron

Steam escape and weld strength

MYX

Hey all,

So... I have finished my wool insulation and last night I worked with the refractory. Once again, thinking how it will go, and how it actually goes are two different things. Anyway, it's now sitting in a plastic bag curing away to crispy hardness. My question is about my weld line (forge is a 20# propane tank). I chopped the top off to install the wool as is customary. When I got it all rigidized and happy, I tack welded it back together. I have seen a lot of folks lay a full bead all the way around the forge. I have left it just as tacks for now. In the Forges 101 thread, it's mentioned to drill a hole for steam. My thinking is if the tacks are sufficient for strength, then I will leave it as is so steam can escape freely, and I have the benefit of not having to cut the whole circumference at whatever time I need to rebuild the forge. Any thoughts?

IMG_20191007_210731_sm.jpg

Thank's Mikey!

So to be clear, go ahead and weld the full seam, and just drill a hole as the small hole is more or less all that's needed... and all of this is to satisfy your OCD, correct? ;0D

Heh... I am usually the one to make a project take 12 times as long as it should (making sure that everything is in it's proper place). In the last couple of years, I have been forcing myself to back off a little, so I saw a place where perhaps I could just let things be. But fortunately I was saved by a fellow perfectionist. Thanks for keeping me square.