I Forge Iron

making a plate anvil

I have found that the disposable wear plates for things like road graders, dozers and snow plows have square mounting holes in them.  I see them at a regular basis at the scrapyard and I bet a HWY maintenance yard would probable have a long ton of discards around; doughnuts would be a good way of breaking the ice to ask about them.

Be aware: they are not an alloy that allows for easy grinding or hacksawing.  I found a 50# piece with 2 1" sq holes in it at my scrapyard once.  not very long but nice and thick. It makes a great hardy tool adjunct. (cost 50# x 20 cents a pound => US$10)  I tripped over a wide piece with 1.5" sq holes when they were cleaning out a lot to build which I got for free. Handy as I have several 1.5" hardy holes and tooling for such.

II find a pritchel hole very handy for bolting a bolster plate to for punching holes not the size of the pritchel hole...

Thomas's idea with the cutting edge is a good one. I have several sections of plow cutting edge that I go to the town barns at mid season and ask them if they have any.  Mid season because most towns will have to change out the worn ones before season (mid summer) then and so usually they have not found their way to scrap yard yet.   

The problem I have with them is I have found them to be brittle when not backed up with something.. IE not great being used by themselves and smacked with a hammer on. I've broken 1, 4 times at the bolt holes. 

Looking forwards to what you come up with. 

At some point I will spend some time making up some items.  Next spring I think. 

Thomas I do the bolster for the hardie hole. 

the plate becomes huge in anything other than a london or dual pritchel holed anvil.  Mind you it can have many more sizes with more spacings between the holes. LOL on other types (German, Swedish). from the pritchel hole to the hardie hole on the Refflinghaus is like half way down the street.. chuckle, chuckle.  

Clarification of descriptors I guess was in order. Different types of bolster plates as there are hundreds of types.  The rotating one is a great one to have and is easy to build and even to hardface for longer wear. 

Also single to fit inside the hole and some to stand proud of the face for insets. 

I once found a rectangular plate, 3/4" thick?,  at the scrapyard that was already predrilled with a bunch of ascending sized holes marked with numbers I haven't correlated to size yet.  I think the important thing is to have the correct sized hole to use with a drift no matter how you got there.

I have a punching plate with a pin. The pin goes thru the corner of the plate and thru the pritchel hole. Then I can rotate the plate as needed, for the proper hole to end up over the hardy hole for punching.  The plate has about 8 sizes if I remember correctly.