I Forge Iron

making a plate anvil

Good morning all! 

I have acquired a piece of 2.75” x 14” x 24”  mystery steel which I would like to use as an anvil. My current plan is to cut this in half, machine out a hardy hole and pritchel, then weld it back together in a 5.5” x 12” x 14” configuration. Once that is done I am going to weld on a top plate of tool steel (any input on what might be best for that, greatly appreciated. I’m finding S7 and the like to be too expensive for my pay rate) I understand the top plate has to be a full pen weld, but does the base component also need to be full pen? That would be practically impossible for my abilities. Unless maybe I forge welded it , but xxxxxxx what an undertaking that would be… I’d have to build a new forge to accommodate that size material, ha!

I’m hoping if I chamfer the edges one or more inches, or xxxx even just mitering the edge at a full 45 would be doable. Would that be enough? Or is this plan doomed before it even starts, maybe I’m better off just using the plate as is accepting a smaller face?

Thanks for any advice!

Yes, I fully intend to pre / post heat treat etc. I have a large stack of fire brick which I plan to make a temporary kiln / forge out of just for the heat treating. It will be temporary as I will be using kao wool (sp?) and bent sheet metal to encase the thing in, but it will not be welded together as a forge that large won't really be practical for me long term. I'm hoping 3 venturi burners will heat the thing sufficiently. If not, I'll just have to make more burners. 

Yeah I don't do this sort of thing often enough to know the correct temps off the top of my head, but I worked in fab shops and machine shops long enough to know I need to have it sorted out before I start :) Most guys I know just do basically what you described with a large rosebud on the plate for an hour or so and get to work. I plan to take IR readings and anneal the thing post welding and do one last round of machining when it's welded up before I do the heat treating. 

As I see it, the anvil is ready to use as is. Stand it up on end and get to work. 2.75" x 14" is plenty of surface to work on since it only has to be as big as the hammer face.  Cold mild steel is harder than yellow hot steel, so get going. Look at what Brian Brazeal uses for a plate anvil..

Unfortunately edge welding plates together and using on the flat will be a big step backwards as far as an effective anvil. Stood on end the bar you're using now is far superior.

If you need a hardy hole make a portable hole rather than try and make something that looks like the face on a London pattern and doesn't perform well. Portable holes have a lot going for them besides just holding bottom tools. Orrrrrr you can weld square tubing to the side of your shaft anvil and have a connected hardy hole. Having the hardy hole connected to the anvil has it's up sides as well and prichel holes can either be added to the build when you weld it up or simply be another bottom tool. I just lay my bolster on the anvil when I need it.

Frosty The Lucky.

Well you need full thickness welds, so you either gouge out the seams so you leave just a sliver of stock or you place a piece of round between them so you can reach in. The seam, especialy the horizontal one will absorbe energy when it moves (and it will move ever so slightly).

the London pattern anvil has been around for only about 200 years and like all multi tools is good at a lot of things but not necessarily the best at any of them. Before the advent of the London pattern a solid lump of steel (say 4” square, tho more like 3” with 3 generations of mushrooming) and a bick (horn, some times double ended) was used. Early bronze anvils look really strange being multi ended (basically a cross that was plunged into the socket so as to provide defend working surfaces). 

Your next level does not have to be trying to weld up and carve out a London pattern. 

I am with TP, carve different profiles in the edge of the plate and then you can flip it around Jock over on Anvil fire has an illustration of such a beast, unfortunantly he gets pissy if you link to his page as he considers it band with theft. He dose however have some exelent thoughts on heavy metal sculpture (anvil building). 

For hardy tooling you can cut a square hole in a stump and put a piece of square steel tube in it and use the plate as is. If you've already cut the plate in half use one half as an anvil and the other half you can grind different swage shapes and a hardy hole In to use as a bolster, dishing, and for hardy tooling.

Pnut

Steel 12 x 12 x 1/2 inches weighs 20 pounds. Your piece of steel 23 x 14 x 2.75 inches should weigh about 256 pounds.  Placed on end, that would make a nice anvil and anvil weight. 

If you purchase an anvil to gain a hardie hole and a pritchel hole, how much are you going to use the holes? Ehough to justify the price of the anvil?

Make a portable hole when you need a hardie hole. A pritchel hole can be made for the portable hole or use a bolster plate.  Bottom tools can be attached to a saddle that fits the plate.  

If time is an unlimited factor then anything is possible if one has the tools and knowledge and materials.  Forgo the money. 

With this said. The chunk of steel on it's own right would be a great anvil and is what I would use..  In reality I don't need anything more than this except for convience sake.  A pritchel hole is good for what exactly?  LOL.   I find I use bottom tooling for punching and most the things I make need a much larger hole than the pritchel so the hardie hole is the next step up with even that is to small for punching or drifting of hammer, eyes and such. So switch to using the vise which now is any size I want the opening to be. 

For round punching of a clean hole I use a punch block which is just a series of holes drilled into a mild steel block which I also use for making hinge pintles. 

So one could argue the most important part is really the horn.  LOL   And even then nearly all things can be forged over a radius without an open space under it.. 

Jasents anvil is tops on my list of likeables. 

I think Charles might be on to something. Seems like I have the entire community advising me away from my plan so I'm inclined to consider a different approach. Any thoughts on pining down the swage block concept? 

Seems like if the intent is to flip it over for convenience, the pinning and un pinning should be quick and simple.

When I was much, much younger I had dreams of making a swage like device to use in the shop.  I had limited resources (poor, poor, poor) and scrounged for nearly all my materials and such.  If you have the ability to weld and grind your best option is to weld on the shape and forms you want to have on the block.  It can be much faster to do. Well unless you have a CNC plasma table that will cut 2 or 3" thick material.  or are into man handling a grinder for awhile. 

I don't think I would bother with shapes for swages unless It was a demo thing where I only wanted 3 pieces of equipment/tooling.  Anvil, vise and forge.   Then I can see having some cutouts for advanced forged items where the depression was needed or the only way to make it happen.  Again because it was must have to create the piece. 

At the last NEB meet I forged a Carving hatchet. Only thing I brought was the eye mandrel and a file for the welded on cutting edge. .  I was lacking the many desirable tools that would have make the job easier.. IE easier.   Inventiveness comes into play and success can be warranted.  Again, anvil, vise and forge, hammer..  Oh, I did bring my own hammers. :)

20190927_160224.jpg

For most forging fun this style of anvil by Brian B. is a great one to go to.  Most items are only forged as wide as the hammer face (only effected that width) is so it's perfect being only 2-3" thick. Not only that but the mass of the block is completely under the forging sections with no spaces (most bang for the buck). 

I am not a fan of the stand and since it will be bolted to the floor would have made the legs straighter. 

I am planning to have a number of these for use in the teaching facility once it's up and running for beginners to use as well as seasoned people to try.