I Forge Iron

Peter Wright anvil, what's it worth?

Noob

Hello, 

I'm just getting started on blacksmithing and looking at a anvil. It's a 178lb Peter Wright anvil for $525. The seller says he's firm on the price. It is rusted and looks like there is some sway but it's hard to tell if it's just discoloration/camera angle or a legit problem. Is this a good deal worth a drive to check out or should I keep looking and keep pounding on my railroad track?

Also, I live in Wisconsin, South of Madison, if anyone is in the area and willing to help me get started I'd owe you a couple cases of beer.

$525 is way too high for me for a 178# but you may have a different budget. Any anvil is worth a look. First thing to check for is excessive edge chipping. You can tell by picture. Also, a little bit of saddle is okay. If you go and check it out take a hammer or ball bearing to check the rebound. Peter Wright is a good brand, if you can get him down in price that would be better. It all depends on your budget and what you are willing to pay. 

Under $3 /lb is a fair price if it is in decent shape.

FYI chipped edges on a Peter Wright is fairly meaningless since they have extra hard top plates.

I would be much more concerned with delamination of the top plate.

To the OP,  a little sway is a good thing IMHO. 

• 2 years later...

The weight is stamped on it in English hundred weight all you have to do is convert it, as far as value that is based on the condition of the anvil and where you are located. Location and condition makes a big difference in price. Pictures help us give advice 

A common bathroom scale can be used to weigh so light an anvil.  Anvils are cheaper in the UK than Australia, where in the world are you at? (We have people from over 100 different countries participating in these forums on the World Wide Web!) 

Also condition makes a big difference---just like a used car, it may be worth US$200 as scrap metal or thousands as a usable car.  Please be aware that people welding or grinding on the face of an anvil to "pretty it up" can shift the price  from US$6 a pound to US$2 a pound or even scrap price!