I Forge Iron

Help identifying hammer mark

SpikeRob

Hi everyone, I have just finished restoring my grandfather's 8lb Hammer using electrolysis, which was incredibly fun.

It has been moderately affected by rust but I now have a reasonable view of the manufacturer's mark on the head but have no idea of the brand, and therefore where it came from nor how old it is. I have been able to work out the word underneath the picture simply says 'TRADE' however there is an indentation on the right of that which could be either another letter, symbol or simply a pock-mark from rust.

I think the picture is a lighthouse with a rainbow behind it, though another suggested that was a sickle-blade. Someone else I have shown believes it to be English made but unsure of any other details. Someone else has 'mucked around' with the photo and believes there is a word inside the rainbow/sickle and that it says 'FORGE'.

Any help would be appreciated.

Whole face.jpg

Close-up.jpg

I tried to find some info for you and haven't had any luck. It looks like an arm holding a scimitar, but I couldn't find any tools with that logo. I also looked it up using falchion instead of scimitar like Thomas said with the same result. I'll keep trying.

Pnut

Hi everyone, thanks for your help. I've resorted to flicking through old catalogues from hardware stores and tool-makers, along with trademark lists in digests, hoping I will find an advert or anything with the logo on it. Never know, I might get lucky one day.

Good Morning Spike,

Sometimes chalk works, sometimes a Felt pen and sandpaper works.

I would ask an older person in your local Hardware supplier or Tool supplier. The manufacture may be an Australian manufacture. Glenn Moon may know. There are quite a few knowledgeable folks in your Blacksmith world as well.

If you can't figure it out, it doesn't matter. It still was your GrandFathers!!!

Neil

SLAG,

Suggests that you do a search, for the logo, at the  Australian,  Great Britain, and  United States patent office sites.

Search the logo section of each trade marks registry.

The sites have brief tutorials on how to do such a search.

We are heading into winter and yooze guys are approaching summer.

Have a great summer Bunkie!

Sincerely,

SLAG.