I Forge Iron

So I did it again...

Dan Mac

Since finding my Anvil I applied the same technique into finding a leg vise mentioning post vise/ leg vise to everyone I ran into. I picked up this little beauty for a whopping $20.00 

5" jaw, not sure of the make as I cant see any markings on it. The barbell has a slight bend to it but it functions with very little slop in the thread.

20190908_170632.jpg

I was thinking of using a small leaf spring I have kicking around in a bin. 

I did ask him if he had any other blacksmithing tools and he just looked at me with a funny look. So I don't think think he really knew what he had there.

The difference between "the guy just wanted it out of his garage" and "They are trying to make as much money possible selling it and they have looked online at all the top prices."  can be huge!   Hunting for stuff online you usually get the latter...

Down this way there is a fellow online trying to sell what looks like a 55# ASO for US$500.

41 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

Down this way there is a fellow online trying to sell what looks like a 55# ASO for US$500.

Seemingly to me at least, it's the same here in Oklahoma.  I've asked so many people about the whereabouts of anvils that I'm even re-asking the same people!!!  Getting embarrassing.  The few I have heard of are ridiculously priced.  There's an antique shop about an hour North of me that has lots of anvils, but every one I've seen listed on Craigslist has been outrageous.  I keep thinking I should drive up there and see if he has at least a few that are reasonably priced.............but I'm doubtful the expense in fuel would be worth it.

I know what you mean.  Everything we do..............even going out to dinner.............involves long drives.  My late Father-in-law lived in Springfield.   Will be driving through Fayetteville next Sunday.  Familiar with all that area.  Will be asking about anvils throughout our trip.

I will be out of town on the 20th of September, DHarris.  I planned my vacation before I knew of the tractor show.  Just sick about it because I figured there would be anvils offered...........or at least contacts to be made.  And I'll be teaching a 6 hour wood carving class on the 19th of October.  I might be able to get down there on the 20th, but most any of the good deals would probably already be taken on the 19th, I'd think.  Just the way the "cookie crumbles" for me, I guess.  :D

Edit:

I just checked the Saltfork Craftsman newsletter and I can't afford to attend on the 20th.    Couldn't attend either of the featured classes because I'm tied up on Saturday, and not interested in any of the other classes on Sunday.  Since there wouldn't be anything to watch, there's no need to drive down there.

Hay Chris

I'm working on a guy who says he has 2 anvils in his barn he might let go. I've work with him in the past and hopefully he would make me a deal. I don't need 3 so I be happy to pass one along at whatever cost it costs me (if he sells them to me) 

Chris: Being first in line tail gating is good if you have a particular anvil in mind but the bargains on price is most often when the seller is looking at having to load all those HEAVY anvils up to haul home. Heck, maybe offer to help load, sometimes guilt is your friend.;) 

If you're not going, to attend the conference you may not have to pay a gate fee. Heck tell the tired of sitting there, gate keeper you're there to help load the anvils. It won't be a lie if you offer to help load. 

Good deal on an anvil and clean karma, win win.

Frosty The Lucky. 

I got a 6.5" columbian vise for US$50 at Quad-State once as I asked about it as the guy was packing for leaving to go home. Now it didn't have the mounting bracket and there was a weld bead along the leg from being attached to a work bench; but the jaws and screw and screwbox were in great shape.

(Same trip I bought a 3.5" vise for $20 as it was an old one---Frank Turley thought it predated 1800. Delicate and OLD; I don't let students use it; but I try to at least once a year to assure it it's still a *TOOL*!)

The anvil guy down here tends to leave Quad-State before they officially open as all he is interested in is anvils.