I Forge Iron

Checking in from Northern Michigan

GolFisHunt

Hi, I'm Dave. I am a serial hobbyist. While helping my brother-in-law empty his storage unit, his wife said "someone is going to have to move this anvil". Down the rabbit hole I go. The anvil is a 108# Peter Wright that belonged to my wife's great grandfather. "What about the forge?" Brother-in-law says. A lever type rivet forge was the next installation. The pan cracked on the first fire. Research, research, research. Found my way here. Built JABOD. Made a few hooks, fire pokers, and a knife shaped object so far. Lurched around here for a couple of weeks, read "Read this First". Time to jump in.

Happy to be aboard.

Glad to have you here, the more the merrier. Yours is the newbie fairy tale. Lucked into an anvil,forge ,and blower. I'm kind of surprised there wasn't a master smith in the storage unit waiting to give you an apprenticeship. ;-) I'm just joking around. I'm happy for you. Most folks don't come into their first setup so easily. I still haven't found a used anvil worth what is being asked for it but I'm happily making due with a piece of rail that's about ninety pounds.

I'm sure you already know there's a wealth of knowledge here. I wish you good luck and remember it's supposed to be fun. Keep us posted on your progress.

Pnut

Welcome to the insanity, just remember, we love pictures that don't violate the TOS. Without pictures it didn't happen.:) The best advice I have is to find a club/group near you and attend some meetings, you will find a bunch of crusty old folks like me to help you out. Pretty sure we have members in your area close enough to visit.

The crack already extends from the rim to the firepot, so it's unlikely to travel further. However, in addition to adding a layer of clay, you can use the existing holes in the rim to bolt on a reinforcing strap, say out of 1/4" x 1-1/2". That will give it a bit more rigidity and help prevent other cracks from forming.

IDFC, I'm guessing that the front section of the rim may have been removed by an earlier user to allow stock to lay flatter in the fire. Could be wrong, though.

42 minutes ago, pnut said:

I thought you could drill a hole but no such luck it seems.

What pnut is talking about here (I think) is drilling a hole at the very end of a crack, to keep it from travelling further through the cast iron. (This is the same mechanism that keeps ductile cast iron from cracking: the excess carbon forms spheres that stop cracks rather than flakes that propagate them.)

Greetings Dave, 

Did ya have fun at my shop today. There is an old boy at the weld shop on 13 street who can weld up your crack. As far as the missing side you can easily form up a chunk of sheet metal to fit . Your new coal will for sure stay in the pan. 

Forge on and make beautiful things 

Jim

55 minutes ago, Jim Coke said:

Greetings Dave, 

Did ya have fun at my shop today. 

Yes, Jim, I enjoyed my visit to Blacksmith Disney Land very much! Thank you for the gracious welcome, hammering lesson, and for the introduction to Jim McKeown as well. I wish I had more time today.  I'll try to have more questions next time, I don't know what I don't know yet. 

As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another.

Dave

51 minutes ago, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

If you make a section to go in where the missing piece is, it can be made to slide down with brackets, so it's easy to take off for long stock.

With my current skill set, I could make that out of wood. Probably not the best choice. Fabricating it out of steel seems a bit above my pay grade for now. I'll work on that.

Drilling a hole at the end of the crack to keep it from propagating is what I meant but it goes from edge to edge so there's no where to drill.

I think the easiest thing to do would be put a brick or two inside the pan where the piece is missing to keep the coal from dribbling out until you can fix it in a more permanent fashion.

Pnut

To call it "cobbled together" would be an insult to shoe makers everywhere. If the clay ever dries in this weather, I'll fire it up. Jim graciously donated the grate and told me which end was up.  I still need to acquire some appropriately size leather for the drive belt and fashion some bearings.

IMG_20190913_114405450.jpg