I Forge Iron

I don't know what to call this hardware

eseemann

Good Afternoon All,

I am working on making a grabber that will pick up heaver things since at 6' 8" tall the ground it a LONG way down. I got a number of these items from a surplus store many years ago and now think they would be of use in my grabber build. If I knew what to call it I might could find some on the web or at the hardware store.  The item is about 3 inches long and the holes are a bit larger than 1/4". 

The imprint is EFCOR (the manufacturer) and IBEW. I think IBEW is the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers.  

Before I start looking for the correct hay stack to start looking for this needle I thought I would try my luck with you good folks. 

Thanks in advance

Dont know.png

That is a very good question I did not think of but I don't think so. It sticks to a magnet like glue and I tried to scratch the surface with a snap knife. I am just about sure it is steel. Now that I think about it I have cut these in the past and I do think they are steel. 

Daswulf, 

I don't think that is what it is you have given me another idea what I might use.

The attached image is an example of what one guy made with aluminum flat stock. If I can't find anything I will use the one item I have as a template and hope for the best but as you folks know hope is not a plan. 

thanks

grabber.png

There are a lot of potential uses, however I suspect the IBEW logo suggests that it's part of a tool.   Just guessing here, but I think it's part of a lock-out tag-out set.  Many Electricians carry a personal padlock with them which they use to lock electrical equipment in the "off" position.  Everyone who's working on the affected circuit puts their own padlock on the common hasp.  Until and unless each individual removes their padlock, the equipment stays off.