I Forge Iron

Got curious, ordered a piece of 5/8 H13

You guys have got my curiosity up about hot punches, and since H13 is not exactly common on store shelves around here, I ordered up 3 feet of 5/8 stock. Not cheap stuff, but I understand if you do it right it will make really nice and long lasting hot work tools. I want to try to make a couple different sizes of hot punches, and maybe a slitter from it if I can figure out the right way to go about it without ruining it in the process.

Quite a few years ago I bought a three foot length of H-13 and another three feet of Atlantic 33 flutagon. I marked them and set them back to “save” them for special projects. Over the years I have came across them and I feel guilty for not using them! My advice to anyone who buys it is use it up and don’t save it!!

bd

Guess not;-) I have been making a verbal note every three strikes or so to counter not having to Cool my punch. At some point I'll be using low alloy steel and need to cool it. 

You can find all the specs like forging temp range etc by searching "forging range for H-13 steel"  I found quite a few sites.

Good luck, I really like my H-13 hot cuts and punches though I didn't forge them myself.

Pnut

Being a newbie, while learning to make punches, slitters, and drifts I'll work my way up the materials ladder from mild steel to coil spring and finally to H13, so when I receive this stock it will probably sit on the shelf for a while. OTOH, I can't see H13 (or any tool steel) getting cheaper in the future, so I consider it sort of a small investment. :)

For current owners of a mix of both red-hard and regular steel tools, maybe you should consider shooting the red-hard tools with a distinctive color of hi-temp engine enamel (maybe bright red or orange) -- as a constant visual warning against quenching or cooling. When I finally get around to making some H13 tools I intend to do that. My other tools will remain painted with my standard shop colors of lime and black.

Yep, strange as it may seem I do usually paint my home made tools. Apparently, I have a bit of Sheldon Cooper DNA, just ask my wife. LOL

Color coding your stock is a good idea, especially the specials, I should my specific bucket system isn't so reliable. 

Does the wife send you to YOUR spot on the couch? I think we all have a little Sheldon in us.

Frosty The Lucky.