I Forge Iron

How do you find a useful scrap yard?

Serious thread drift here.

As mentioned, most auto type junkyards will sell you parts either with a remove yourself option or from a stockroom where they have already done the work.  The scrap metal dealers around here do not take old autos - I think its an issue for them to deal with oil, gas and rubber.  I would look in your yellow pages - oops! I mean online to find buyers of scrap metal.  Get yourself a truckload of old washing machines, sash weights or whatever scrap metal you don't want to use in your 'smithing endeavors and take it to them.  Ask them if they sell any of the useful stuff you might find there.  The local scrap yard here realizes that they make more money per pound selling it to guys like me rather than a boatload of it going offshore.  One scrap yard here actually goes through the stuff and picks out anything that they might be able to sell  and put a price based on its actual value.  For instance, I found a large eye bolt there once that was about 6" diameter and about 1.5" cross section and they wanted $20 for it.  A new one would probably be $75 or more of that size.  The other scrap yard weighs it and charges you .20 cents a pound so you might get it for less than a dollar.

Back to thread drift.  A friend and I once drove a 1950 Chevy pickup from California to New York after I had owned it for two weeks in CA.  The rear axle seals let go in Bakersfield so we spent a day there getting repairs done and the starter went in Texas so it did not get shut off for the rest of the trip.  Also pulled a 57 Chevy station wagon along with us as a trailer.  Sold that when I got to NY.

Those pull it yourself auto salvage yards prices are as actual replacement parts not scrap metal. I called a place near me for coil springs and they wanted way too much for them. They sell to folks who are looking for car parts not scrap metal.

Pnut

I got chewed out at a junk yard once for calling it a junk yard. They said this is an automobile recycling center. I said i see junk cars in a yard looks, like a junk yard to me. 

Watch those "recycling centers" a lot of stuff you can get about the same price new. Example i did a Caravan tranns one day and mess up an axle. Our local junk yard, that we use at work a lot might i add, wanted $55 for it, Autozone wanted $58. Even a rebuildable tranns core is $500. 

The last time I shopped buying parts at a wrecking yard they wanted about 5% less than the dealer. That was a REAL eye opener $. I needed to replace the intake manifold on my Eagle Talon, the manifold gasket had developed a leak and it ate the manifold. Nothing on that car was cheap. I ended up replacing the turbo while they were R&R the manifold, it didn't change the labor so what's another $1,300? Manifold was $2,200 from the dealer, heck the gasket set was something like $250 IIRC.

Put it up for sale when I got it back and got a decent price. Having the work orders on hand made the sale, turbos used to burn up pretty quickly, seems nobody let them spin down before killing the engine. 

We have a wrecking yard up the road from me and while I know and like Gary the owner I don't buy stuff there. Mostly they crush vehicles and haul the cubes to the recycling center in Anchorage to go to China. The last thing I bought was a small tire and wheel for a tire hammer and it was quite a bit cheaper than new. :o

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks all! There's a bunch of replies I just caught up on. Since my last post, I spoke to a mechanic on my commute to work. They pointed out their scrap pile and said I could take what I like. Apparently, there's no centers in the county that buy steel. On another note, I've just run totally out of storage space with my last few acquisitions. Gotta take a hard look at my shop plans and inventory, and I gotta get rid of the stuff I don't need. 

Thread "Denizens",

With the China U.S.A. trade war in full bloom, will the scrap yards get a little less fussy as to whom they will sell to?

Only, the Shadow,  (& his hair dresser)  know for sure.

SLAG.

Depends on any contracts they have already signed.  It is holding down the price at my local scrapyard and the pile is growing bigger as they are not shipping...I hope they can weather the storm, they sell internally in the USA to a foundry in TX---and it's not the one down by my casita...