I Forge Iron

Question about bolster material

brUuuUu

Hey guys, I have a question about bolster and cap material for a knife that I'm working on. I have my blade all profiled out and am now searching for a piece of metal(steel) to use as a bolster and cap. I have a piece of O1 that's 0.25 inch thick that I might stack on top of itself to make the bolster ~0.5in thick if I can't find anything else to make the bolster out of. I don't think that method would work with trying to make the cap. I was thinking about using cast iron 5lb dumbbell handle but I don't know if that would work either lol, please recommend what I could use.

Material needs to be ~ 2" long 0.5" tall and 0.5" wide for the bolster and a little bigger for the cap

Pic attached is the knife I'm trying to recreate..

Thanks!

eb7a33076890a19c0890542c4eadf0b3.png

Is it flat tang of hidden Tang?....on the picture it could be both even if there no pins shown, it could be both

sometimes the questions are so simple that I have a problem to understand them....

Cant You find a a piece of crap mild steel?...just something like 100x40x6-8 mm?....or bigger or smaller?....

just by a piece of construction mild steel at your local dealer....maybe cost 2$?.....?

....and by the way....if you are a beginner in knife making, try to keep it simple!!!

.....front bolster is enough for the first round.;)

good luck

1 hour ago, SLAG said:

Inhaling beryllium gives rise to a very nasty disease called berylliosis.

SLAG.

Like in the copper in large electrical boxes? Be very careful working with copper busses, etc. it's often alloyed with Beryllium for strength and wear resistance. The higher the beryllium content the brassier it looks but at lower %s is indistinguishable from copper but is still a serious health hazard.

Frosty The Lucky.