I Forge Iron

Lighting setup for belt grinder

Hello.  I finally got a proper 2x72 grinder.  It's a lovely machine, but I realized that my work area needs to be properly and flexibly lit in order for me to see what I'm doing.  What kind of lighting setup do you have on your grinder - is it a single adjustable light, multiple lights or a band of LED lights?  Do you mount them on the table or on the ceiling?  Do you have any tips on properly positioning the lights for the best performance?

Thank you!

Luka

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 4' fluorescent right over my grinders to provide a general light.  I used that many years, and it works well.  But a couple of years ago I added a Moffatt 95041 Task Lamp I got from amazon.  It is a goose neck lamp with a really nice quick connect base.  I have two grinders and can swing it between the two and the goose neck allows it to easily be shifted to exactly where I want it.  It's a little costy, but seeing is important, and at 62 my eyes need the extra light (and cheater glasses...).  B)

DanR

I have a 4' LED light bar over mine but I need better, I tend to cast a shadow on what I want to see or it's in my eyes. Yeah, over my head AND in my eyes. I can hold a small LED flashlight in my mouth and see beautifully, like that's practical and my head lamp is too hard to keep on target. Man there are some really nice goose neck LED lamps out there, do I want to spend $50+ on one though? Sewing machine goose neck lamps run between 2w and 4w where the more industrial ones run 10w and up. 

I need the light and do trifocals count as cheaters? 

Frosty The Lucky.

My grinder is right at the door of the garage, so I get very good natural light during the day. I just got a gooseneck light with a magnetic base for a couple of bucks from the industrial surplus place, which works great for rainy days and nighttime work.

13 hours ago, JHCC said:

with a magnetic base for a couple of bucks from the industrial surplus place,

I have to have a talk with them, seems they've disabled my acct and I can't sign back up with the same user name and pw. One notice says they're not taken the other says they're both taken. <sigh> Maybe I didn't buy enough I found out when I wanted to put a porta band on my watch list. . . Of course. So much for shopping them for a mag base goose neck lamp. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I have a petzl head lamp I use for all kinds of stuff it wasn't made for, anything I need to have a good view of what I'm doing. It took some getting used to at first but I can wear it now and not notice it. It works great in combination with the lights in the room for illuminating whatever I'm working on. Just used it to sew up a ripped shirt. Couldn't find the little needle threader thingy and had to do it the hard way. Wouldn't have happened without the head lamp.

Pnut