Glenn

Back to school, pencils and notebook in hand

It is August and all the kids are starting back to school, with school supplies on sale everywhere. So get a couple of notebooks and some pens or pencils. 

Put one notebook beside the computer and one in the shop.  That way when you have or find a great idea, you can make notes. That idea for staining leather, write it down. The idea for the new to you twist, write it down. The hold down for the anvil, write it down. Drawings or sketches only need to be as good as what you need to understand later. Putting an idea on paper reinforces the idea in your mind. You can come back later and make additions or notes. It is an ongoing idea clear up till you take it to the forge and it becomes a project.

You can have maybe an entire investment of a couple of dollars in supplies, which will more than offset trying to remember those ideas later.

Be sure and save one notebook for when you go to a blacksmithing gathering to make notes. 

Glen, that’s a great idea I keep a notebook and pencil on the counter in my shop, but I always run into one of two problems. I forget to write my ideas down or I forget the idea by the time I get to the notebook 

As a part of my edc set I carry around a pen and a small notebook in my pocket! There's a lot less I've forgotten now :D